Latest Posts

Topic: map tags

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-27, 22:11

I was choosing maps for the next tournament and I am baffled by some of the tags. "Islands at war" is tagged as unbalanced, while it seems well balanced to me; on the other hand, "last bastion" is supposedly balanced, but it's far less symmetrical - though probably fairly balanced too. "The pass through the mountains" is labelled as unbalanced, while it is one of the best balanced maps; "volcanic winter", a very unbalanced map, is not tagged as such.

Most important, though, if there is an "imbalanced" tag, there should also be a "balanced" tag; people looking for a balanced game should be able to click on it and see which maps are available, rather than clicking on "unbalanced" and then trying to remember which maps they should not take.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-28, 17:42

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I was choosing maps for the next tournament and I am baffled by some of the tags. "Islands at war" is tagged as unbalanced, while it seems well balanced to me;

One of the players cannot get coal early, so it's not that balanced

"The pass through the mountains" is labelled as unbalanced, while it is one of the best balanced maps;

Really? The blue player is closer to coal and iron, but he cannot expand only with guardhouses... In my opinion, the map is not balanced enough

Most important, though, if there is an "imbalanced" tag, there should also be a "balanced" tag; people looking for a balanced game should be able to click on it and see which maps are available, rather than clicking on "unbalanced" and then trying to remember which maps they should not take.

+1

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-28, 20:22

Agreed.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1668729

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-01, 14:20

oh, i see what you mean, ws. I agree on islands at war, one player has bad access to coal. Pass through the mountains, though, I still think it is balanced. the differences are very minor, and in every map we can find such small differences if we look closely enough

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-02, 17:18

One more difference on that map: The read player can expand immediately into "his own part of the middle" with a castle, while the blue player has to use stonecutters first face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote