WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-26, 18:57

GunChleoc wrote:

1. Roads aren't clickable, so that will be difficult to implement

You must be kidding face-wink.png Roads are clickable, you can destroy them. There is also a button "build road" which doesn't work.

1. Do we have a second for this change?

Does that mean "do we have time for"?

1. We already have an alternative suggestion for that one, but I can't find the bug right now. The idea is to allow configuring of the future building in the construction site window, which would include the option for an automatic enhance.

kaputtnik wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

1. We already have an alternative suggestion for that one, but I can't find the bug right now. The idea is to allow configuring of the future building in the construction site window, which would include the option for an automatic enhance.

I think this is the one: Possibility to set building options when building is under construction

That's even greater. I would suggest to give it a higher priority than "wishlist" or "low"

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
fuchur

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-02-26, 20:44

WorldSavior wrote:

• requesting-an-ox-button on roads (an ox will go to the road as soon as possible)

And removing an ox would be sometimes helpfull as well. I think there was a discusscion some time ago about ware transportation and the automatic assignment of the second carrier.

Anyway, I think coding that feature wouldn't be that simple. And the question is if it is a good idea to have a distinction of cases (tribes). Maybe that adds unnecessary complexity.

• button for micro breweries which could switch on/off a new mode. In this mode, master brewers would be kicked out automatically of the building. (Brewers and master brewers don't cost tools, but you have to train new master brewers sometimes. Currently, that requires some micro-management). That works also for breweries. If I see a brewerie with two master brewers, I usually kick out the first one (then a new brewer will go there).

Do you really need master brewers that often that this automatic training mode would be needed? Personally I don't think I'd ever enable that mode because I sure would forget to disable it when it's not needed anymore. Then I'd get a lot of master brewers which I don't need. You'd have to combine it with a target quantity for master brewers in warehouses. And that would have consequences if you have split economies. Of course large split economies are rare, but just in case you have them the target quantities are taken into account for every single economy.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-26, 21:11

fuchur wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

• requesting-an-ox-button on roads (an ox will go to the road as soon as possible)

And removing an ox would be sometimes helpfull as well.

Yes. It's suboptimal that you have to destroy the road and build it again. And because the ox often walks to one other road, you also have to rebuild that road, too.

Anyway, I think coding that feature wouldn't be that simple. And the question is if it is a good idea to have a distinction of cases (tribes). Maybe that adds unnecessary complexity.

Well, I think that new features are the best way to balance the tribes...

• button for micro breweries which could switch on/off a new mode. In this mode, master brewers would be kicked out automatically of the building. (Brewers and master brewers don't cost tools, but you have to train new master brewers sometimes. Currently, that requires some micro-management). That works also for breweries. If I see a brewerie with two master brewers, I usually kick out the first one (then a new brewer will go there).

Do you really need master brewers that often that this automatic training mode would be needed?

Well, sometimes I need 10 breweries

Personally I don't think I'd ever enable that mode because I sure would forget to disable it when it's not needed anymore. Then I'd get a lot of master brewers which I don't need.

Well, they only cost the time which a new brewer needs to go to the (micro) brewerie. This time is very short if a warehouse/port/headquarter is near. And the building "sleeps" anyway some time...

You'd have to combine it with a target quantity for master brewers in warehouses.

Would be nice

And that would have consequences if you have split economies. Of course large split economies are rare, but just in case you have them the target quantities are taken into account for every single economy.

I think that that's marginal. By the way, do you know what happens to the economy settings if you link split economies again?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-27, 08:56

WorldSavior wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

You must be kidding face-wink.png Roads are clickable, you can destroy them. There is also a button "build road" which doesn't work.

Duh, I should not be coding a and answering b on the forum at the same time.

We could have an action that will demote the road to non-busy, which means that it will start from scratch for gaining busy status.

fuchur wrote:

And removing an ox would be sometimes helpfull as well. I think there was a discusscion some time ago about ware transportation and the automatic assignment of the second carrier.

Good idea - we could have a function set_busy (yes/no)

There would be no distinction for the tribes - if 1 tribe gets it, all tribes will get it. A bit unfair otherwise, and confusing not to have a game mechanic available for all tribes.

No, it means do we have a second person who wants it. I don't play often enough to judge whether this would be a good feature, so it needs some discussion before we add a bug for it.

"Wishlist" means that it's a new feature that we want - the other status are there for already implemented features that need improving and bugs that need fixing.

By the way, do you know what happens to the economy settings if you link split economies again?

Widelands will pick the settings of 1 of the merged economies, depending on which way around you build the connecting road.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-27, 18:06

About the road busy/normal algorithm there was some discussion, as fuchur wrote (see below). The main Problem with this is, that a road becomes soon busy, but it may take a long time to become normal back again. If no wares are transported on a busy road it will never become normal again.

I am unsure about a button 'Switch busy/normal road'. The game is about setting some parameters/circumstances like building a Food economy. A Player could decide where to build a Farm, but he could not decide how the farmer works and he has limited influence about where the corn goes to. E.g. a corn may be carried to a Warehouse (maybe far away from the farm) or to a mill (a player has limited influence to which mill the corn will go). If a mill get no corn, the player has to decide if he build another farm. A player sets only the parameters to get corn. Same goes imho for the second carrier (ox, donkey, horse). A player is able to set the parameters to get the second carrier. If a second carrier is missing somewhere, the player has made a mistake and has to decide how to solve this. I think it would be better to have a better algorithm for turning a busy road to normal again.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-27, 19:07

There is also this bug on the topic: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1451973

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-28, 16:50

GunChleoc wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

Duh, I should not be coding a and answering b on the forum at the same time.

We could have an action that will demote the road to non-busy, which means that it will start from scratch for gaining busy status.

That would be a possible feature

fuchur wrote:

Good idea - we could have a function set_busy (yes/no)

There would be no distinction for the tribes - if 1 tribe gets it, all tribes will get it. A bit unfair otherwise, and confusing not to have a game mechanic available for all tribes.

I can think about features which will be available for all tribes, but be an advantage for not every tribe face-tongue.png

No, it means do we have a second person who wants it. I don't play often enough to judge whether this would be a good feature, so it needs some discussion before we add a bug for it.

Aha, okay. Anyone else here who uses sometimes 10 breweries or more in one match? face-smile.png

"Wishlist" means that it's a new feature that we want - the other status are there for already implemented features that need improving and bugs that need fixing.

By the way, do you know what happens to the economy settings if you link split economies again?

Widelands will pick the settings of 1 of the merged economies, depending on which way around you build the connecting road.

Thanks face-smile.png

Edited: 2017-02-28, 16:51

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-03-01, 08:32

At the moment I'm wondering if it happens on purpose, that the barbarian tavern only uses one fish or one meat OR one bread to generate one ration. Always expected it to use bread + (fish or meat). I think (hope) I have the current development version.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-01, 10:49

JanO wrote:

At the moment I'm wondering if it happens on purpose, that the barbarian tavern only uses one fish or one meat OR one bread to generate one ration. Always expected it to use bread + (fish or meat). I think (hope) I have the current development version.

The tavern only uses one of the three wares to make one ration, so it´s possible to operate a tavern without ever delivering 2 of the three wares. The inn and big inn need three wares (bread and beer/strong beer and (fish or meat)) to make one snack/meal. I find that the ration is too cheap, especially compared to snacks and meals. It should be a bit more expensive, for example 1 bread + 2 (fish or meat) = 2 rations. This would make the ration ½ wares more expensive and also ensure that bread and (fish or meat) are required for the tavern to work. By the way, I think the tavern needs way too long to prepare 1 ration: It needs 19 seconds to produce and then sleeps 14 seconds. This gets more efficient when it is enhanced. The sensible thing in the game is to enhance taverns immediately after they´re finished (provided there are enough wares), which is just annoying.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-01, 11:29

I just had a look at the Empire's Tavern - they are identical. Of course, meat is very cheap for Barbarians and very expensive for the Empire, and fish is a finite resource for both. So, only change the Barbarians' tavern?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote