Topic: Widelands tournament 2016; official announcements

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-05, 11:31

me and worldsavior will play wednesday at 20 CET

AlleyJazz wrote:

LAZA and I will play tonight at 20.00 cet+1 (i think,german time that is)

german time is CET. CET+1 (UTC+2) only involves a handful of european states, the biggest of which is ukraine. So I suppose you'll be playing at 2 german time?

Top Quote
AlleyJazz
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-05, 12:43

Sorry,I confused that again :( Yes, I meant 20 German time, so that is 20 cet and 19 utc!

I really should put up several clocks on the wall with different - and labelled - timezones.... would save me a lot of confusions face-grin.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-05, 17:42

LAZA wrote:

Edit: Had a thought and lost it - but again:

It would be good to know the Operating Systems and which version the people are playing in the tournament. The broad variety of Windowses, Linuxes, OSes... would help some newcomers do find their "right" OS where Widelands is definitv running.

The newcomers can already see which OSses work when they try to downlkoad the game, so I don't see which information would be gained here. Maybe I don't understand what you mean. The Widelands version is already displayed when you select a replay, and the OSses used won't matter for watching a replay.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-11, 13:47

dusting off this thread a bit...

in the next few days the final ranking will be decided. stay tuned.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-11, 21:55

------- THIS TOURNAMENT WILL GO TO THE SECOND PHASE-------

because i lost with worldsavior and now we are tied up at 4 points. in the final phase there will also be the winner between waylon and notabilis and sirver if he wins. I will announce the details once the number of players will be known.

I payed a hard price for not studying the map. most of the land is bad for trees, and getting wood is very hard there. atlanteans have a hard time. if you expand for a while, then you find fertile land, but i didn't knew that, so instead of making a beeline for the fertile ground, i spend all my precious wood to get small late-game advantages. then i slowed down soooo much. after that, it was too late. worldsavior capitalized on the advantage and all my delaying tactics proved futile. congratulations.

On one hand, I am glad I lost. I was worried I'd dominate the tournament and it would be boring for all, and instead i find worthy opponents. I am especially pleased with how many players have improved along the tournament. I think in particular of my opponent facing a similar defensive strategy at the third turn: then he got stuck, but this time he could pass. I like to think that you learned from my tactical insights and that I can take some credit for the increased general skill level.

On the other hand, my ego took a big beating. I hadn't lost a game in ages, and I don't recall ever losing with atlanteans before. I was used to be the king rooster, and now I will have to fight to keep at most a status of primus inter pares.

But I will fight for it. Without worrying that I may be too strong, this time.

EDIT: it gets even worse as I have calculated the bucholz projection and it turns out me and worldsavior will have the same bucholz; and since he defeated me in direct encounter, he goes first. damn you toptopple! not only did you sink my bucholz, but it actually mattered!

All the others who can reach 4 points will stop at most at 14. it doesn't matter for being admitted to the second phase and determining the winner, but it does matter for self-satisfaction.

Edited: 2017-01-11, 22:12

Top Quote
Notabilis
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-12, 07:48

Waylon531 and I will play on Saturday 18:00 UTC.

Top Quote
Lokimaros
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-12, 12:42

It appears the final savegame of King of Nowhere and WorldSavior has yet to be sent in to SirVerII for archiving, whic is a pity for those of us who missed the start of the game, yet still wish to see the contest. So I, for one, would be grateful if either of the contestants (or even one of the spectators) could provide SirVerII with such a savegame.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-13, 07:56

The replay is now uploaded at the usual place.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-13, 17:28

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I payed a hard price for not studying the map.

So basicly you've let my win because you wanted that match on "archipelago sea" - at least that's my impression ;-) Well, I thought that the Barbarian Duell between No0815 and me ( https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzJhs3Bo_Sm8dE9zdlFCbUtqeWs ) would be a kind of warning for you, so I expected that you would be more prepared face-wink.png But okay, that was at another map...

most of the land is bad for trees, and getting wood is very hard there. atlanteans have a hard time.

Yes. You can build nicely three foresters next to your Headquarter at this green ground. That's not so hard for barbarians, because that's approximately half of their wood economy, but for Atlanteans it's much harder.

If you expand for a while, then you find fertile land, but i didn't knew that, so instead of making a beeline for the fertile ground, i spend all my precious wood to get small late-game advantages.

Again, that's good for barbarians as their guardhouses are build much faster than every other guardhouse... Maybe you should have played barbarians, haha. I would really like to know how you play with them...

then i slowed down soooo much. after that, it was too late. worldsavior capitalized on the advantage and all my delaying tactics proved futile. congratulations.

Thank you face-smile.png

I like to think that you learned from my tactical insights and that I can take some credit for the increased general skill level.

Yes, I've learned something from you...

Lokimaros wrote:

So I, for one, would be grateful if either of the contestants (or even one of the spectators) could provide SirVerII with such a savegame.

There have been spectators? face-grin.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-13, 18:38

WorldSavior wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I payed a hard price for not studying the map.

So basicly you've let my win because you wanted that match on "archipelago sea" - at least that's my impression face-wink.png

No, I just assumed that nobody would prepare seriously. In the previous tournament nobody did, I did prepare really hard to make the perfect start on every map, and I won all games easily; I even won a game where my teammate failed his start and I was left virtually 1v2. I assumed that this time by not preparing I would even the field. Also, there is the matter of free time; in the previous tournament, I was doing my phd in a foreign country, all my friends were 2000 km away from me, so I had nothing better to do after work than play videogames; now I am back home, and I spend a lot more time going out, so I have less for tryharding at widelands.

Again, that's good for barbarians as their guardhouses are build much faster than every other guardhouse... Maybe you should have played barbarians, haha. I would really like to know how you play with them...

I'm not good with barbarians. Well, I'm worse than I am with atlanteans, at least. I know barbarians are supposed to use their cheap mines to make cheap soldiers and rush, while saving some resources to make a few elites later, but I never managed to pull it out satisfactorily. Maybe I will try in the future

Top Quote