Latest Posts

Topic: actual interaction between players

betterthanyou710
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-12, 01:14

Markets will hold a world of value to a game like this. This would be a great way to forge alliances, have a political stand off, or even get materials you need. Each tribe can trade with one another for stone, wood, iron, coal...... im sure you get the idea. But this would be a great way to help out allies, starve out one another, or make a different group do something that you want. I propose a marketplace (building) and caravans are shipping out to other tribes with markets and you send out a deal, persay 10 stone for 15 wood. (players make the deals). then the player receiving the deal could say yes, no, or make a counter argument. I think if the developers ever start making more communication between players things, this would be a awesome place to start.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-12, 08:57

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You idea is well known here. I guess that one year ago (or maybe two?) there were major changes made to start this idea. First of all was unification of wares (stone now is the same in every tribe), next step will be introducing buildings and workers. I think that some things will be introduced in dev version before b20, but I can't say for sure.

If you dig up some topics on this forum, you will find interesting parts about that.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
betterthanyou710
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-12, 21:07

This is my first time on the forum but i've been playing this game for multiple years, I guess I never really got around to getting to the forum. If me and a friend were to create a market and the neccessities to have a market, could it be added to the game in build 20? Or maybe at a future date?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-12, 21:59

Hi face-smile.png

Hopefully you had a nice game recently ... See General Port forwarding Recipe for help if you want to host a game.

About trading there is a bug report open since 2011. But implementing this isn't that easy. One major thing was the merge of all tribes, like einstein13 already explained and this was made in build19. What is mainly missing are the graphics for new buildings type 'Trading Outpost" or something like that. Unfortunately we haven't enough people who have experience in Blender to get around that. And of course some code is missing yet. I guess this will not come for build 20, but there are some other features implemented for build 20, e.g. Zooming.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
betterthanyou710
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-12, 22:38

it was quite fun though of course, world savior won. I know a lot of people who really like blender and are good at using it. I can work on making a image for a trading post, is that really all that is needed? I will take a look at the bug later, chances are I know nothing and can help in no way for the bug, but i have friends who can.

Edited: 2017-01-12, 22:42

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-16, 21:07

We will also need to design a user interface & game mechanics, and implement it in C++. At the moment, we are working on getting our new Barracks building to work like it should, and we can also use some graphics there: https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/1909/. So, not sure if we can add the markets to Build 20 - personally, I am scratching my UI itches at the moment. We also shouldn't wait 2+ years for Build 20 like we did for Build 19.

We should only work on graphics for the markets when we have some working code - Blender artists' time is a rarer commodity than coders' time in this project, so we have to use it wisely.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-01-16, 21:19

That would be fun to work on!

I'll gladly test some market production in blender when I'm finished with my current blender cleaning (and figured out why my bzr push always stops at some point...).

Will try something this weekend as at first try for the atlanteans. That would also help me understand the image integration process.

GunCheloc > There are more important projects for graphics?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-17, 13:47

The Barracks should be the first thing that's worked on. We also still lack working animations for some buildings.

We have a separate bug tracker for media: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands-media

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
betterthanyou710
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-17, 21:02

I have a bunch of friends who love blender and can make some fun things if i ask ;). i'll ask for a barracks, any preferences, needed things to be shown, animations? anything else needed?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-18, 09:42

The Barracks are the most important thing right now, then they can pick up any bug that they would enjoy working on.

Eyecandy-wise, we only have 1 aquatic animal so far (the duck), 1-2 more would be nice.

Also, the Barbarian Ox is the same model as the Wisent.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote