Latest Posts

Topic: Inconsistent balancing with mines

toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-01-05, 08:48

I have been silent so far but I'm not convinced about this inaugurated change. The area meters for action radius is:
r 1 = 6, r 2 = 18, r 3 = 36, r 4 = 60 (this is from the logic of hexagon rings)
You see the largest jump in covered area is from radius 2 to radius 3, 100%. This is not a minor change! If we apply this boost to BAR and EMP, the distance to ATL and their more expensive mines shrinks. Whether this is justified one may have doubts. I don't object experimenting, but just out-of-the-box I wouldn't recommend it.

What one might consider, however, is to shrink ATL mining range to radius 3. This gives them a 100% advantage to the other tribes and seems in line with the building costs. Having to build only once is also a strategical benefit for the ATL, ok that's good as they suffer on other occasion.

Edited: 2017-01-05, 08:52

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-05, 10:25

from a perfect strategy point of view, it is not an improvement, because deep mines are more expensive to operate. so the best strategy is still to mine everything possible with surface mines before upgrading. In fact, from a strictly powergamer perspective, deep mines with larger radius can be considered detrimental: they can mine superficial ores that could still be reached with surface mines. increasing the radius of the deep mines, therefore, is only a matter of convenience: one doesn't have to be bothered to making as many of those. Also, unfortunately it is nighly impossible to follow the really best strategy, because that would require either dismantling all the surface mines, not only wasting resources but most importantly losing track of where exactly one has already mined, or leaving the miner inside, which forces the game to make a replacement miner. On that aspect, it would be nice to have an option for the surface mines like "waiting to be upgraded" that stops the mine, sends the miner out, and then stay there until you actually choose to upgrade that mine.

Even if it was a buff, though, it would be ok, because atlanteans are alrready stronger in late game, so anything that reduces the differences is having limited impact. increasing the differences between the tribes is what risks giving one tooo big an advantage in some phase of the game.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-05, 13:40

I am not convinced to increase middle-size mines range. I accept increasing deepest mines range, but for both: Empire and Barbarians. As it was said, Empire mines would become less productive from any tribe. Changing the radius will make smaller difference between mines in late game.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-01-05, 15:52
King
from a perfect strategy point of view, it is not an improvement, because deep mines are more expensive to operate. so the best strategy is still to mine everything possible with surface mines before upgrading.

Recently I made a calculation on some mining footprint values and, if I understand the Lua-scripts, these came to a result which puts you assertion into question and holds the opposite. Unfortunately as for now I mislaid the leaflet. If this is true, all your conclusions break down!

But aside of this, if late-game differences even out by tendency, then early-game differences determine the fate of a tribe. Is that what is meant to happen? ;) The other question is whether the designers of ATL have given it adequate thought about the radius impact (factor > 3 for mininge area), or if not the original intent was to double the mining capacity for ATL. In this case the correct radius is 3.

Top Quote
No0815
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-06, 11:09

Oh, so, not that much of a consent after all face-sad.png

einstein13 wrote:

I am not convinced to increase middle-size mines range. I accept increasing deepest mines range, but for both: Empire and Barbarians. As it was said, Empire mines would become less productive from any tribe. Changing the radius will make smaller difference between mines in late game.

That's why I would suggest to increase the range for empire as well, for both deep and regular mines. That would leave barbarians regular mines as the weakest ones, range-wise, which would balance out their superiority food-wise a little bit (well, not really, see below). On a side note: Barbarian deep mines are currently pretty much useless anyway.

toptopple wrote:

[quote=King]from a perfect strategy point of view, it is not an improvement, because deep mines are more expensive to operate. so the best strategy is still to mine everything possible with surface mines before upgrading.[/quote]

Recently I made a calculation on some mining footprint values and, if I understand the Lua-scripts, these came to a result which puts you assertion into question and holds the opposite. Unfortunately as for now I mislaid the leaflet. If this is true, all your conclusions break down!

Do you at least know in which way it questions King's argumentation? I have a hard time imagine how it might be possible for deeper mines to be more efficient than basic mines. Unless you ignore required food but then it would be pointless.

But aside of this, if late-game differences even out by tendency, then early-game differences determine the fate of a tribe. Is that what is meant to happen? face-wink.png

No, neither early- nor late-game differences should determine the fate of a tribe. Tribes should differentiate in their strengths and weaknesses and the ways they have to take to fully develop their individual strengths or to cope with their weak points, not so much in their overall strength. That would make them, well, unbalanced.

Again, don't overestimate the impact of mining range on balancing. How would balancing be affected anyway? Mines neither get faster nor more food-efficient. Those are the factors that determine efficiency, not the range. The actual benefit is, that you might need to built fewer mines to exhaust a deposit. That saves you some resources for building (which don't have much of a meaning in the later game) and you lose fewer iron on useless master miners (which is considered a bug anyway). Plus the players nerves are strained less with having to constantly upgrade mines and rebalancing the economy. That's the main reason why I would welcome this change. Playing barbarians is the most exhausting of all tribes, it seems to me.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-06, 15:58

No0815 wrote:

Plus the players nerves are strained less with having to constantly upgrade mines and rebalancing the economy. That's the main reason why I would welcome this change. Playing barbarians is the most exhausting of all tribes, it seems to me.

That's the reason I also wouldn't mind such a change. less need to go remake mines all the times.

toptopple wrote:

[quote=King]from a perfect strategy point of view, it is not an improvement, because deep mines are more expensive to operate. so the best strategy is still to mine everything possible with surface mines before upgrading.[/quote]

I seriously doubt it. I think you can only reach that conclusion by doing something wrong with your basic assumption, like maybe assuming that rations are made from bread, or that the value of one meat or one grain is the same. Definitely not the case.

Barbarians can make rations with meat, which is absolutely inexpensive with them since they can produce it with 2 small buildings. snaks and meals both require 2.5 wheat in addition, which means 250 seconds of work for a barbarian farm (determined experimentally from large numbers and times). Even if a deeper mine could produce fiive times the amount of ores from one meal than a basic mine could from a ration, the basic mine would still be far cheaper to operate. I even have an experimental verification: I made several no metal challenges with barbarians, and I made them with deeper and normal mines. Deeper mines have a 10% chance of producing something when empty, normal mines only 5%, yet you get over twice the amount of ores from regular mines. done on the same map (trident of fire) under the same conditions.

With empire the difference may be smaller: 2 wheat to operate a regular mine (one for bread to turn into ration, one for beer) and 3 for a deep one (you also need a meat to make a meal, which comes from wheat and water in the piggery). But again the simple arithmetic is misleading: A mill makes flour in 20 seconds, and a bakery makes one bread every 35 seconds, and both occupy a medium slot. A piggery makes one meat per minute, and it is a large building. So 3 bakeries and 2 mills make 6 bread per minute, while you need 6 piggeries to make 6 meat per minute, so for empire meat is vastly more expensive than bread even if both in theory cost one wheat and one water. To be exact, in a perfectly flat ground you can stuff 4 large buildings or 9 medium ones in the same space, or you can make a farm in the same space as 4 medium buildings; so with the space difference between piggeries and bakeries/millls you can make 2 farms, which together produce one wheat every 40 seconds (determined experimentally over large times and numbers); and by making meat instead of bread you lose that wheat, so making 6 meat in a minute cost you 6 wheat for the meat and 1.5 wheat that you are losing from the farms that you could have made in the building slots, and we can conclude imperial meat can be said to cost 25% more than imperial bread. On a perfectly flat map. In maps with scarcity of large spaces meat is even more expensive, while in maps with scattered large building slots you can make a large building in the same space as a medium one and the difference is smaller.

If we wanted to properly compare the cost of operating an imperial mine and deeper mine we'd have to take into account also the productivity of a brewery, and right now I don't want to do it. Or, if empire still has access to fish, then it does not need to make meat from piggeries, but it also can make rations directly from fish without farms, so the difference in cost to operate deep and basic mines is even greater. Overall, the actual cost for the empire is dependent on how exactly the map is made, but you can't just consider the amount of resources without considering the space needed to transform them. I think with those correction your datasheet should return more veritable results.

Top Quote