Latest Posts

Topic: Carriers

Hena

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-03-10, 20:37

Hi,

I loved settlers back when it was a new game. Having found dosbox some time ago I delved into it again and loved it still. After a quick search of open source version I ended up here. I tested this a bit meaning played couple of the tutorial missions and noticed something about the carriers.

1. In settlers if there was a lot of stuff to be moved from one flag to another, multiple carriers would show up and they would go around each other within one road section at the same time. This doesn't seem to happen in Widelands. Possible addition perhaps?
  2. Crossroads. I noticed when playing at 6x speed that the carriers wait for full road instead of a road section. Eg. if three carriers are on different roads heading to same flag. Then the two are waiting not a road section as in settlers but the length of the entire road for each others. Meaning that the one that is going to go next doesn't have to be right next to the flag but on the other end of the road. This causes a lot of congestion.
Edited: 2010-03-10, 20:37

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-03-10, 20:51
  1. This is already added and waiting only for build15 to come. If you want it quick, get a development snapshot or from bzr if you know (or don't hesitate to learn) how to build your own face-smile.png
  2. Keep your roads short (lots of flags) so this doesn't really make problems. Or plan your economy better to avoid congestion face-smile.png

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
Hena

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-03-11, 17:27

To second point. I disagree with this. This seems unintuitive. Also I hit several times to a situation where large section of my roads were blocked. I could only open it by removing a road at random in centre of the jam and see if it opened this up. Also I noticed that other workers can move through the carriers which removes one part of logjams that used to be for a shorter period of times in settlers (note that I don't have an opinion on if this this a good thing, just noticed it).

Edited: 2010-03-11, 17:27

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-03-15, 17:31

Why is it unintuitive to add more flags? More flags = more carriers = more throughput.

Top Quote