Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarians fully trained soldiers

toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-11-06, 14:43

@Egg You are wrong about the Sharp Axe! A normal "Axe" is required to create a soldier, the "Sharp Axe" is already the first enhancement. You can control building of new soldiers simply by setting the max-demand for the product "Axe" to zero. Ok, you have to endure the first 5 free axes or how many ever you already made. ;)

I have already supplied a branch which makes training-sites more effective. Barbarians suffer unproportionally from the delays, hence it is required to implement an improvement. The improvement still awaits input from other programmers bc. of unwanted side effects. But if you're playing r19 this is irrelevant.

I don't think reversing the program makes any gain, probably the contrary. Also, I don't see "premature" expel a REAL problem bc. the admin system takes care that all soldiers will eventually upgrade. So an early expel will serve an early availability of promotions in the watch-houses, which is not a bad thing. In future there could be a setting in the training-site about a minimum advancement for expelling candidates, which has to make rough score value though. Alternatively, a simple checkbox could determine whether "only fully educated" soldiers will leave the site.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-06, 23:58

toptopple wrote:

I don't think reversing the program makes any gain, probably the contrary. Also, I don't see "premature" expel a REAL problem bc. the admin system takes care that all soldiers will eventually upgrade. So an early expel will serve an early availability of promotions in the watch-houses, which is not a bad thing.

That depends, because the result will be to have a lot of half-trained soldiers instead of a few fully trained. In a long game, you will find yourself with plenty of half trained soldiers, and your opponent with his handful of fully trained ones will destroy your weaker soldiers with very few losses. But in a short game, you may find your opponent unprotected while he's still training his first strong soldier, and collapse his front before he can mount a resistance.

In future there could be a setting in the training-site about a minimum advancement for expelling candidates, which has to make rough score value though. Alternatively, a simple checkbox could determine whether "only fully educated" soldiers will leave the site.

Yeah, probaably leaving the choice to the human is better

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-11-07, 03:42

It depends on your enemies. If they have completely novice soldiers, then 0/0/0/2 soldiers should be fine, but if they have decently trained soldiers, you'll certainly want better troops!

So yeah, I agree with having a "soldiers stay until fully trained" checkbox.

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-11-07, 06:13

Would it be better, if it was possible to make the trainingscamp/dungeon accept only soldiers that have already been trained in (battle)arena/labyrinth, or would that make the game too straightforward?

I pproposed that as a micromanaging system to code in the AI to help it. So yeah, it would be more efficient, but I fear that it would really make the game too strighforward.

That sounds like a no.

Think that under-resourced training site should not fully train, else things would simplify too much. However, in my ideal world, if all training sites were well equipped, I think that the economy should produce fully trained soldiers without micromanagement. One way to achieve that would be that the training sites would prefer half-trained soldiers while recruiting trainees.

Top Quote
egg

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-11-07, 11:18

toptopple wrote:

@Egg You are wrong about the Sharp Axe! A normal "Axe" is required to create a soldier, the "Sharp Axe" is already the first enhancement. >

Well, that's what I thought, until the training camp complained about the lack of a Sharp Axe. Perhaps the error message about the Sharp Axe (sorry I can't recall the exact wording) is wrong.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-07, 18:42

The error message is generated fro the actual production program, so it shouldn't be wrong. Check he trainingsite's input queue so tee if it has any sharp axes?

What trainingsites need are prefer heroes/prefer rookies buttons, just like the militarysites have.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Notabilis
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-11-07, 21:58

Just to clarify: A (normal) "Ax" is required to create a new soldier. This happens in the warehouse automatically, if there is a request for a soldier and an ax is present. There is no explicit information about it, you can only observe the ax disappearing from the warehouse and an untrained soldier leaving the warehouse. The soldier can enter a military site immediately, no training site is required for this.

A finished soldier might also go into a training site at some time, either from a warehouse or even from a military site. There he requires a "Sharp Ax" to train from attack level 0 to attack level 1 (and even more axes like broad ax or so for further levels).

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-11-08, 09:39
GunChleoc
What trainingsites need are prefer heroes/prefer rookies buttons, just like the militarysites have.

For what? For training which decisions?

@Notabilis How come you have "Just found this site"? ;)

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-08, 09:42

Prefer rookies -> the trainingsite wants untrained soldiers Prefer heroes -> the trainingsite wants the soldiers with the highest training (except for fully trained in what the trainingsite can train, of course)

This was discussed before somewhere, and prefer heroes/rookies buttons seemed like a good idea at the time.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote