Latest Posts

Topic: Censored

Vassili
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-10-31, 18:12

So they refuse all critics, say we insults them/are impolite but do the same, and censor the topic about the b19rc1..

What a nice example of this communication skills that he said (yes you will deny, but you was clearly meaning that) i have not.

Yes you will often deny that you said somethings, but you was meaning that things. What you call insults, impolite, and others "we do not use this language here" when you speak of my posts, is just i do not hide my mind and speak frankly, me.

About technical things, always answering "go use Launchpad and do it yourself" (more understanded with a meaning of "you do nothing so shut up") , is , in my NOT humble opinion, not the right answer; more when it's about getting back on something that somebody do, that can start an infinite loop.

Good luck people who participate here and do not code the game.

Me i think i will stop to participate , and never play the b19 like you had choose months ago; it's time to return on The settlers games.

Top Quote
janus
Version: Build 42
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-10-31, 18:58

Vassili wrote:

So they refuse all critics, say we insults them/are impolite but do the same, and censor the topic about the b19rc1..

What a nice example of this communication skills that he said (yes you will deny, but you was clearly meaning that) i have not.

Yes you will often deny that you said somethings, but you was meaning that things. What you call insults, impolite, and others "we do not use this language here" when you speak of my posts, is just i do not hide my mind and speak frankly, me.

About technical things, always answering "go use Launchpad and do it yourself" (more understanded with a meaning of "you do nothing so shut up") , is , in my NOT humble opinion, not the right answer; more when it's about getting back on something that somebody do, that can start an infinite loop.

Good luck people who participate here and do not code the game.

Me i think i will stop to participate , and never play the b19 like you had choose months ago; it's time to return on The settlers games.

bla bla bla... go away and troll a other open source game face-wink.png bye

https://www.jhor.de

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-10-31, 19:18

Vassili wrote:

Hooray. Hopefully you are a man of your word.

We have survived other "participants" like your kind and the world won't stop. Last advise (but, please, don't start a discussion): Use a dictionary when doing English posts. There are several good ones online. Perhaps other online communities will benefit...

Top Quote
stdh
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-10-31, 20:30

Vassili, look at it from their perspective. The developers put a lot of their time and energy in this game, and "managing" a community is hard. I suppose some don't always read the forums (that takes a lot of time), even when keeping a close eye on the bug tracker. I too have proposed some change, and a developer asked if I could do it myself: I was slightly disappointed, but I understand it's a perfectly reasonable request. I too have found some bugs that are still present in b19rc1 (like this bug, possibly the annoying sound you talked about). It's not perfect... But it is Free/Libre Software, if that sound or a translation annoys you too much, you can change it for yourself. Other things are harder to fix, they will have to wait for another build.

Note: maybe the communication can be improved a bit: taken literally, the announcement for rc1 invites general feedback (features/translations/media/...), when only stability and major bugs are pertinent at this stage. I suppose it's not clear to everybody what is frozen at which point in the process, even when there's the overview in the wiki. And maybe "interim builds" could be useful for discussion between builds, but that would probably be too hard to pull off...

But most importantly: remember we're working with fellow humans. Cultural norms are different around the world, maybe in French/France a more "direct" style is usual? I think your words were rather harsh... Reading blunt criticism, even when honest and factually pertinent, can be very bad for motivation. Please be careful with people you don't know very well, and whose immediate reaction you can't see...

[maybe I wrote too many words here]

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-31, 20:47

My take - development process is lengthy - from an idea to implementation and testing and to final approval and merge into trunk and a release. Moreover we are short of developers.

What I can suggest is to register at launchpad and report the issues as bugs. Once it is a bug, it will not be forgotten, there we can discuss its relevance, priority and benefit to costs ratio, and eventually a coder might pick it and implement it. Lengthy, but this way it works.

Of course forum is good for discussing issues but you have to persuade somebody to create the bug and/or start working on it. Of course there are still chances that some developer will like your idea on forum so much that he start working on implementation without any formal bug report.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-01, 07:03

Nothing has been deleted, no accounts have been deactivated. I invited everybody to open a new thread. Where is the censorship? I locked the thread so everybody could coll off their tempers, including myself. I will not read this thread, because it won't do my blood pressure any good.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-01, 13:46

Vassili, you did some great promotion work for Widelands with streaming it and working on a French fan page. But I felt your communication has been frequently aggressive, confrontative and accusing. Maybe moving on isn't a bad call - you and our community seem not compatible.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-01, 20:49

I was thinking for a some time what I should say*.

First, nobody is censoring you, but some people points out that you used offensive words. That is not good.

For example you could use "who are just here to make people crazy" instead of "who are just here for fuck human". If it is not enough to points your feelings, you can add even more specific explanation.

Another thing is about personal attacks. You can attack somebody behaviour, actions, arguments, but never attack person itself. I am not perfect with that, but I try to stick to this prescript.

Example? "the creator viciously created this map" instead of "the creator is a vicious guy".

Also sometimes it is better to ask rather than to judge. Instead of pointing out everything you don't like, you can ask why it was done this way and discuss all arguments for and against. Most people here are not closed to other opinions and they listen to arguments. But most of people here are people, so they feel and think. You will not receive anything when you only require and insult.

Last thing is about this community. I tried several free games. One of them was much more alive (several games all the time), but the community didn't like newbies (no hints for them, kicking out from the lobby). Second one was almost dead (a few contributors, no update for a month, no release for 3 years). This community was open when I first come and still it is open for new players, contributors and ideas. Maybe my contribution is not great like other people, but still I feel welcome here.

*- I have to mention that my English is not well enough to express my thoughts and sometimes, even here, my words can be incorrectly used. So please don't translate word by word and try to catch the sense rather than translation.

Edited: 2016-11-01, 20:49

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
Vassili
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-11-01, 20:53

Your english seems perfect

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-01, 21:10

Good evening everybody, I really don't know why this discussions got so personal. When I first discovered widelands (around build 15 or so) I really wondered about the good playability of a game that was merely programmed as a "hobby" of a limited community. Since then it improved even a lot, although I too was sometimes impatient with the progress going on. Since Build 18 I even downloaded a lot of daily builds (from Tino's site I belief) to be able to play newer maps. What I found really good in this community was the interest, the help, the open mindedness and the professional fix in reasonable time for the bugs I reported from playing. So I would ask everybody to settle his temper and return back to the attitude I discovered in this forum before. We should try to be as polite as we can in our communication to aboid misunderstandings. Thanks for all the work done so far to the dev team and please don't let your motivation be touched by some confusion due to inevitable misunderstandings while writing in a foreign language. I for my side really appreciate every bit of effort gone into this great game. Best regard hessenfarmer

Top Quote