Latest Posts

Topic: Build 19 RC1

Vassili
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-10-30, 22:35

""The Release Candidate is the ideal place to comment and criticize the work offered. That's after all what is meant by the word "candidate".""

That's what i was thinking when i have launch the b19rc1.

""Now you are too late, now you must be silent!""

That's what i will remember after posting about b19rc1.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-30, 23:00

All I can advice is to stay in touch with dev team, discuss on web site, test developed code - say your opinion but continuously, few days/weeks before overdue release - nobody is willing to postpone it for another half year, especially if there was so much time to provide feedback...

While we are preparing release, work on new features is already going and code is being prepared and discussed.

If you dont know, here https://code.launchpad.net/widelands/+activereviews are new branches that are discussed now, waiting for approval, or approved allready, some of them are functional, some of them only cosmetic, some of them for this release, some of them for next - and this is good place and time to discuss proposed changes. Not one year after change was discussed and approved.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-31, 05:31

Vassili wrote:

""The Release Candidate is the ideal place to comment and criticize the work offered. That's after all what is meant by the word "candidate".""

Toptopple post is well intended, but incorrect. This is documented on our Releasing Widelands page. This quote fits for builds - comment, criticize constructively so the next build will be better. The release candidate is a baked version, only to test for critical bugs - i.e. game crashing bugs that have not been in the build prior. It is only about stability, not about features or non-crashing bugs. And while it seems minor to change something like starting logs, it is a untested change that might have unintended effects. It does not go into the release candidate - because it might break something and then we are stuck with the bug in production - probably for years.

This strictness comes from experience: We used to have less strict rules about build candidates and we broke a release because we did a last second image change. We replaced a menu icon - and this new particular PNG was somehow broken and some computers did not load it, but most did. A terrible pain - rolling back the release, rereleasing, updating all vendors again.

We made the rules stricter - but still allowed translations to be merged after release candidate. What happened? A string change that seemed unproblematic pulled in issues that made it impossible to even start Widelands in some locales - because the fresh new translations were using % instead of %%. We didn't notice, because these changes were not tested well enough.

That is the reason why we have 4 weeks of feature freeze. Because we decide what should go into the build - and what will be postponed. Once feature freeze is over the only reason for more commits in build 19 are crashes - nothing else should be touched to not endanger the stableness that was tested.

Build 20 will come - and all the feedback for b19 will instruct its design.

That's what i was thinking when i have launch the b19rc1.

""Now you are too late, now you must be silent!""

Yes, you are too late for feature for b19. You are not too late for b20 - DragonAtma for example gave a lot of good suggestions in here that will inform decisions for b20. You are invited to do the same - but there will be no functional changes to b19. With the release candidate - and 2 feature freezes of different strictness - behind us, it is too late for that.

That's what i will remember after posting about b19rc1.

You know, not saying "Thanks for the hard work. I have some suggestions", but instead "

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-31, 06:25

As I already said in this thread, constructive criticism is always welcome! Some comments in this thread sound like "let's bash the release" rather than suggestions though, including sexist and ageist remarks, foul language and insults. That makes it not fun, and it doesn't help us to make Widelands better. Contributors who are less thick-skinned about stuff like this than I am might actually leave the project over stuff like this, because it's frustrating. So, for those who participated in that behavior, why not interpret the developers' reactions to this as an opportunity to improve your communication skills face-wink.png

Also, people who are new to Widelands and checking out the discussion thread for the current release candidate might leave with a wrong impression, thinking that Widelands is crap or that the community is toxic. This could deprive us of potential players and contributors.

Edited: 2016-10-31, 06:48

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-10-31, 11:02

@Sirver One of the complaints was that some buildings don't look Barbarian. That is not a matter of taste.

@Gunchleoc "So, for those who participated in that behavior, why not interpret the developers' reactions to this as an opportunity to improve your communication skills"

That is what I call an insult, written large. I don't even want to say anything about your other remarks. You could just as well have called them 'deplorables.'

This discussion constantly brings this video in my mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

Is that what our society is going to look like? I have already had my taste of it.

Top Quote
Partyschreck
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2016-10-31, 11:34

I´ve allready written in the german forum about the wood deadlock the computer player runs into. You have to stop this. The game seems unplayable to me with that feature.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-31, 11:49

Yes, you made me angry enough to become impolite.

We're not getting anywhere. Locked.

Anybody who want to post some constructive feedback, please open a new thread.

Edited: 2016-10-31, 12:19

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote