Latest Posts

Topic: Build 19 RC1

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-28, 17:58

The save game window hasn't been redesigned yet... will be improved in the next release. I already have a branch face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Vassili
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-10-29, 12:34

Running the game in french.

We still can't adjust the audio volumes...

In "A propos de Widelands" (about):

--The characters with accents are all buggy, they do not appear, instead you have the famous square with an interrogation point.

--"Lisez-moi", not "Lisezmoi", like you write "Read me", not "Readme"

--In Licence, you do not say the game is libre, you say he is gratis and open-source, yes you hate french words but i speak of the french translation...

Edited: 2016-10-29, 12:59

Top Quote
Jaypad
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-10-29, 13:07

Vassili wrote:

In "A propos de Widelands" (about):

--The characters with accents are all buggy, they do not appear, instead you have the famous square with an interrogation point.

I don't have this problem.

French translation needs some adjustments . I will probably have more time this winter to look at this.

Top Quote
Vassili
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-10-29, 15:33

I have this problem on all the game, not just in "about", but the "é" is correctly show.

Top Quote
Vassili
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-10-29, 16:01

Today i have test the b19rc1, running on Windows 7, and i have some things to report, you can see my game here: https://www.twitch.tv/vassilijeux/v/97772763

--Why you deleted the quota for some ressources? That cause alot of troubles! for exemple, the wood is now cut endlessly, flooding the message of "no trees" (really, really, annoying) if you do not put 5 forester by woodcutter, and take too much place in stocks if you will empty a warehouse

--The textures of the wood hardener, the coal furnace, the battleaxe factory, and the hostel, now have a disgusting unicolor floor who looks like a problem of transparency.

--Why you have add flags with the color of the player on the icons of building selection? That just hide the original design, and have no utility.

--Why do you rename the battleaxe factory (usine de hache) into battleaxe shop (boutique de hache)? It's a serial production for an army, not a shop for tourist.

-- Every time you capture an ennemy building, that say the ennemy is destroyed (ennemi vaincu), like if you destroyed his entire empire, and it's the same message than a real ennemy defeat.

--We do not have naval battles, SO: non-destruction of ports by seaway=if you control an island, you are invincible.

--The ships are invisible on the map, not accessible by a port button, not by a ship list (you was discussing of a ships list no? i didn't found it), and not by selecting another ship, so they are totally lost on the map...

--The ship delevery system is bad: he call the farest ship when i already have four ships at the dock.

--One of the new animal sound is annoying with the time, he sounds like a motor who cry/scream

--I'm not sure that "blinking trees" looks nice for everyone eyes.

--Concerning the new map "Wild World", the creator is a vicious guy:

-player one have no gold, no coal, no acces to other lands because the two ennemies are in front of him.

-like often on official maps, you must know the game and the map perfectly for not block yourself, cause building port or some military buildings, cost gold.

-Some port construction by expedition does not provide building emplacements, you give gold and time for nothing.

-the coasts are full of thousand of little detours who are just here for fuck human.

Edited: 2016-10-29, 16:07

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-29, 16:15

The problem with the accents is known and is already there in Build 18:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1290049

It only happens under Windows and I was unable to find out why. It will go away once we finish the switchover to the new font renderer.

Vassili wrote:

Today i have test the b19rc1, running on Windows 7, and i have some things to report, you can see my game here: https://www.twitch.tv/vassilijeux/v/97772763

--Why you deleted the quota for some ressources? That cause alot of troubles! for exemple, the wood is now cut endlessly, flooding the message of "no trees" (really, really, annoying) if you do not put 5 forester by woodcutter, and take too much place in stocks if you will empty a warehouse

Quota is not deleted, just changed. If you keep getting this message for a building, it is inefficient. You can also stop it for a while and wait for the trees to regenerate.

--The textures of the wood hardener, the coal furnace, the battleaxe factory, and the hostel, now have a disgusting unicolor floor who looks like a problem of transparency.

Those graphics were redesigned by Chuck, and he posted them for feedback on the forum at the time. Maybe you weren't around yet and missed it.

--Why you have add flags with the color of the player on the icons of building selection? That just hide the original design, and have no utility.

I think it looks a lot better, because they look exactly like the look in the game.

--Why do you rename the battleaxe factory (usine de hache) into battleaxe shop (boutique de hache)? It's a serial production for an army, not a shop for tourist.

-- Every time you capture an ennemy building, that say the ennemy is destroyed (ennemi vaincu), like if you destroyed his entire empire, and it's the same message than a real ennemy defeat.

Best help with the translations then if you don't like it.

--We do not have naval battles, SO: non-destruction of ports by seaway=if you control an island, you are invincible.

We need https://blueprints.launchpad.net/widelands/+spec/garrison-on-headquartes first before we can even think about implementing this.

--The ships are invisible on the map, not accessible by a port button, not by a ship list (you was discussing of a ships list no? i didn't found it), and not by selecting another ship, so they are totally lost on the map...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1358880

--The ship delevery system is bad: he call the farest ship when i already have four ships at the dock.

It is better than in Build 18 anyway. The problem isn't trivial.

--One of the new animal sound is annoying with the time, he sounds like a motor who cry/scream

Can you find out which one it is?

--I'm not sure that "blinking trees" looks nice for everyone eyes.

I have no idea what you mean here.

--Concerning the new map "Wild World", the creator is a vicious guy:

-player one have no gold, no coal, no acces to other lands because the two ennemies are in front of him.

-like often on offical maps, you must know the game and the map perfectly fo not block yourself, cause building port or some military buildings, cost gold.

-Some port construction by expedition does not provide building emplacements, you give gold and time for nothing.

-the coasts are full of thousand of little detour who are just here for fuck human.

Please do not use such language here.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-10-30, 08:25

People might get upset when the things that they like are destroyed or ruined. In my case the only way out was to split off from Widelands. Anyway, you don't need Vassili to see that some buildings are plain ugly. Chuck has made beautiful graphics in the past and I am totally flabbergasted by his latest developments. If such things have to be said than people tend to give up. As if you lost your mind collectively. Sorry for that, I'm just saying it. The same for the "out of trees" message that I noted before. On the other hand, it must be hard to make software work on incompatible and roque systems like Windows that still can't handle even the perfectly standardised UTF-8. I wouldn't even have tried to do so in the first place. It is a paid spy system. Users must place stickers over the camera and fill the microphone with silly putty in order to be save. I don't understand why there are still people buying it.

In my version I removed the playercolors from all production sites and from all wares. It looked childish and was unnecesary. Especially the cloth could be a problem if there is ever going to be something like trade. Imagine trading with red, yellow, orange, green and purple. Then start building a ship. Now you have your own Rainbow Warrior. It surely helps to look ahead.

The most important aspect of a game is its functionality. The design of Widelands shows a lack therein. It is built by young people who tend to see things through a lens. They build what they like or believe in, not what is needed. The game culminates in the training of soldiers yet the first line says that the game is anti-destruction. That is pure ideology (or girl talk, I don't know for sure) and has nothing to do with the game. It is like saying that check is not about winning. I don't like wars in the real world but I love strategy. And a game is not real. Otherwise I would have run away, not being eager to commit genocide, repeatedly, on every tribe that has a different colour.

Edited: 2016-10-30, 08:59

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-10-30, 08:34

A. I agree some of the newer building designs are not fortunate, if that is the right place to mention it! The floor is superfluous and does not fit the other buildings, its colour rather suggests modern material like asphalt. For the edifices themselves they also don't quite fit the older designs, in particular the higher food chain (Inn + Big-Inn) does not appear to belong to Barbarians at all. What have the previous designs for these buildings have been? - The floors should disappear in favour of transparency and the rooves could be updated to meet the thatched structures one would likely expect.

B. What are the winning-conditions in Autocrat at this point? Did you solve the problem of invincibility due to island property?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-30, 09:48

I think this not the right place for criticism to build 19. All Changes for this build were discussed formerly and everyone had the chance to participate on that discussions.

If you think something should be better, or some of the former decisions were wrong, anyone is invited to open new discussions for the next build. For build19 it's definitely too late.

Some of the changes are just new (like player colors in buildings menu). I am sure we all need just a bit of familiarization to it face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-10-30, 10:26

kaputtnik wrote:

I think this not the right place for criticism to build 19. All Changes for this build were discussed formerly and everyone had the chance to participate on that discussions.

If you think something should be better, or some of the former decisions were wrong, anyone is invited to open new discussions for the next build. For build19 it's definitely too late.

Some of the changes are just new (like player colors in buildings menu). I am sure we all need just a bit of familiarization to it face-smile.png

Correction: It's too late for most things, but not for show stoppers. And if a CPU player is willing to completely ruin itself by overbuilding so much they run out of wood before they finish a lumberjack, that's definitely a showstopper.

But why should I let my words go untested? There's an easy way to test it, and it only takes a few minutes: Start a 7-player CPU-only Endless Game (no fog) on the Riverlands map (where every CPU is an Normal AI Atlantean Fortified Village) and see how many build themselves into oblivion. If even one does so it's severe enough that they need to fix the AI. But you should report to us if one of them does, to confirm that I'm not seeing an unusual situation.

Top Quote