Latest Posts

Topic: Translating GPL v2 COPYING

Sahtor

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-02-15, 11:27

https://translations.launchpad.net/widelands/trunk/+pots/texts

I dont feel 100% comfortable translating a GPL license file because the license specifically states that you can distribute but not modify said file. I found a finnish translation on the web (by finn legal firm) which might be open for use but there's no guarantee. Not many projects translate their text files. I only see gettext used inside programs.

Suggestion: Remove Launchpad translation of all widelands text files or atleast COPYING

Top Quote
Sahtor

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-02-15, 12:35

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/translations.html

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-02-15, 13:23

I guess the whole /txts directory needs a Cleanup. The COPYING file doesn't belong there, I think. I'd put that file into the root, or in a subdirectory "License". No need to translate the GPL, as Sahtor already said. Additionally, this directory contains texts used ingame, and texts not used ingame. Could be separated, and for the Ingame texts a translation should be proposed.

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-02-15, 15:02

For some languages (i.e. Polish) it simply has a notice, saying that it's an unofficial translation and for the original text read 'blahblahblah'.

Also, I though that all texts are translatable - or at least I didn't notice any.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-02-15, 19:44

The License can be shown from inside widelands and it is in the texts/ directory formatted using the widelands rich text language so that we can properly display it. There are translations from the GPL, simple copy & paste should do.

Other possibility is to only ship a plain text english GPL and move the license away. But then the license button inside the game must be removed as well.

Top Quote
MiroslavR

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-11, 21:30

I'm afraid a simple copy & paste would do more harm than good. GNU quote about publishing translations ( http://www.gnu.org/licenses/translations.html ):

• The page should say it is released under some version of the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs license.

There is a Slovak translation of GNU GPL v2 released under CC-BY-SA but I can't just take its content and release it under BSD license on Launchpad. Neither am I allowed to translate the license myself. Wideland's Slovak translation is almost complete except for the license bit that I can't do anything about. Therefore I suggest removal of COPYING translatable strings.

Thanks in advance.

Top Quote