Latest Posts

Topic: are there still plans to teach the AI to micromanage level 10 soldiers? (and other stuff about AI efficiency)

fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-08-23, 13:06
TrainingSite::TrainingSite(const TrainingSiteDescr& d)
   : ProductionSite(d),
     soldier_request_(nullptr),
     capacity_(descr().get_max_number_of_soldiers()),
     build_heroes_(false), <--- Set this to TRUE or connect to a button.
     result_(Failed) {

This works but it does not solve the problem of the topic.
Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-08-23, 20:34

fk wrote:

<dl> <dt>[code]</dt> <dt>TrainingSite::TrainingSite(const TrainingSiteDescr& d)</dt> <dd>ProductionSite(d), soldier_request_(nullptr), capacity_(descr().get_max_number_of_soldiers()), build_heroes_(false), <--- Set this to TRUE or connect to a button. result_(Failed) {</dd> </dl>

[/code]

This works but it does not solve the problem of the topic.

Do you mean that the code is there, only some GUI is needed to make it usable?

Yes, it does not address the issue, but looks like low hanging fruit...

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-08-24, 09:22

gnarfk wrote:

Personally, i have another idea to solve this.

Instead of trying to teach the AI micromanaging, why don't we change the way the training sites work ? We could think of a "train the best soldiers first" button ? and something like in the military buildings "prefer heroes". In that way, micromanaging will not be needed to create fully upgraded soldiers.

Seems a good idea. I only don't like that it will be easy to make for everyone. Took me a lot of experimenting to develop that strategy, and now every noob will be able to do it by pressing a couple buttons... face-sad.png

Top Quote
gnarfk
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2016-08-24, 09:29

king_of_nowhere wrote:

gnarfk wrote:

Personally, i have another idea to solve this.

Instead of trying to teach the AI micromanaging, why don't we change the way the training sites work ? We could think of a "train the best soldiers first" button ? and something like in the military buildings "prefer heroes". In that way, micromanaging will not be needed to create fully upgraded soldiers.

Seems a good idea. I only don't like that it will be easy to make for everyone. Took me a lot of experimenting to develop that strategy, and now every noob will be able to do it by pressing a couple buttons... face-sad.png

i understand your feeling, but i think this game is not about micromanaging by clicking thousands of times....

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-08-24, 10:54

That's true, Tibor. In my own version I have simply set the value to true more than a year ago and it has always worked fine. It is a small but simple improvement. Personally I don't even think that someone would like to switch it off so you can save yourself the work of an additional button, which is not a bad idea because the main problem has not yet been solved. You may need (an)other button(s) even more and regret this button later, although it is not too hard to remove a button, but it may confuse the user.

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-08-24, 19:59

IMO, doing what K_o_N suggested would make the game more enjoyable.

Is there a bug report?

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-08-24, 22:04

fk wrote:

That's true, Tibor. In my own version I have simply set the value to true more than a year ago and it has always worked fine. It is a small but simple improvement. Personally I don't even think that someone would like to switch it off so you can save yourself the work of an additional button, which is not a bad idea because the main problem has not yet been solved. You may need (an)other button(s) even more and regret this button later, although it is not too hard to remove a button, but it may confuse the user.

I would still vote for new button. If militarysites can have analogous button, trainingsites can have it too.

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-08-24, 22:37

@Tibor True, except that their meanings are different. One is about entry, the other about training order.

My experience is that sometimes the player wants soldiers to be created for buildings that have become set to rookies (after expansion or so) but not for training sites. Producing no soldiers at all is no solution to this. Setting training sites to "don't train rookies" is the only way in which this can be achieved. Training camps (without evade training) should actually never accept rookies, although that would speed up training.

Another discussion would be which soldiers are rookies and which are not (zero evade, 1 evade?).

(I'm just saying this so that you can already look ahead)

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-08-25, 17:36

One possibility to tackle the need to micromanage, which would be quite easy to implement, too:

Add the possibility to instruct trainingsites to only recruit trainees that are above (an user-selectable) level. In case of barbarians, many would set trainingcamp acceptance threshold to two (=battle arena maximum).

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-08-29, 15:53

king_of_nowhere wrote:

P.S. The soldier levels page (https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/SoldierLevels/) still is not updated for the increased attack values we gave the barbarians during a rebalance some five months ago.

Thanks for flagging this - would you have time to fix this up?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote