Latest Posts

Topic: Campaign feedback

king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-06, 23:34

well, tree growth probability isn't that important. the only thing a beginner really have to know is that you should avoid building a forester close to a mountain or desert. in general, the greener the terrain, the better trees will grow on it; except in winter and wasteland terrains, where there isn't green, but that's another matter; I learned to distinguish visually the various winter terrains only after a year of playing; and even then, the less white, the better.

if you can't avoid putting a forester close to a mountain, you can make roads on the mountain to prevent the forester from planting there, but that's something of a pro tip.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-14, 09:01

I have created 2 bug reports so that this feedback won't be forgotten:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1581758

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1581759

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
No0815
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-05-23, 11:50

@GunChleoc: Thanks! Though I have to admit that I had hoped for more discussion about the points I made. We only talked about tree growth around the headquarter so far but what about my other suggestions? I might even give it a shot and provide a improved scenario by myself but I wouldn't dare without a discussion after only playing Widelands for some three weeks.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-23, 12:45

Since I linked up this thread in the bug reports, all your suggestions will be looked at once we start implementing them.

This won't happen for Build 19, since we are trying to get a release ready, but we'll definitely work on them and look at them in detail for Build 20 face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-23, 21:11

No0815 wrote:

I might even give it a shot and provide a improved scenario by myself but I wouldn't dare without a discussion after only playing Widelands for some three weeks.

Why do you need a discussion? Things getting done by doing them, not by discussing them face-wink.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
No0815
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-05-28, 15:28

Why do you need a discussion?

... uh ... prooobably because someone might disagree with one of my suggestions and they might make points that didn't occur to me? It's not like even an experienced player could never miss an aspect, is it? But I already suspected that the week point of this whole project isn't really the lack of (potential) programmers and contributors but the lack of communication. And the lack of a solid concept and plan, probably, not sure about that.

Things getting done by doing them, not by discussing them face-wink.png

But things aren't simply done, they are mostly just put on a list to be worked on some distant day - or not, no one really knows or seams to care. I've heard numerous complaints that the team is too small so one would expect that there's an interest to attract more users to help. I've been involved in several projects before but never have I felt less welcome, both as a new player/user and a (potential) contributor. Gosh!

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-28, 16:31

But things aren't simply done, they are mostly just put on a list to be worked on some distant day - or not, no one really knows or seams to care.

well, our list has 500 entries already and it is growing. People do care, and they work on what they care most. You seem to care about this particular issue - it is likely that if you find a fix that you like, you will find that people like it too.

I've heard numerous complaints that the team is too small so one would expect that there's an interest to attract more users to help. I've been involved in several projects before but never have I felt less welcome, both as a new player/user and a (potential) contributor. Gosh!

That is definitively not the impression that we want you to have :). Everybody is welcome to contribute, but talk is cheap, branches/code/fixes is what moves the project forward. Instead of spending many posts discussing, provide one implementation that people can test and comment on. Then you will get better opinions and iteration is possible with experimentation. Discussing without having an implementation is mostly guesswork, that is why we try to not over discuss things. Instead try many different implementations.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-28, 19:04

as far as i know, the programmers generally use launchpad to discuss things to do rather than the forum. Often there are disagreements on what to do, and then there is no "official" way to resolve them. what would be a good one anyway? you give everyone a vote, including people who barely know hot to play? you give more votes to more experienced players? and how do you decide that anyway? I don't really know how decisions are taken.

I've also been on the other side, of talking at lenght without providing anythhing useful. Especially the first times, when I had ideas that were nigh-impossible to code, and generally affected only minor issues. I cannot code myself, so it's not like i can contribute much - though i playtested on occasions - but I eventually learned to try to propose things that were easy to implement, and once i did that, many of my suggestions were taken.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-29, 11:01

As a developer, I very much value the input by the community - I come here often when I am working on a new feature so the players can help me with the design. So, when the day comes that I will have the time to work on implementing your feedback, I will certainly return to this thread. For an example on such a discussion, look here.

And if there way anything in your feedback that people disagree with, there would have been a discussion on it right away. If people mostly agree, there is no discussion face-wink.png

One of your feedback items has allso been implemented right away 8001 8002, so I really don't know why you don't feel welcome face-sad.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-11-23, 08:53

I have played widelands before but but decided to redp these campaigns to refresh how the interface works.

I have a problem, the first objective is to build two rangers huts, there are no rangers huts in the build list, there is however the strabgly names fishermanr's hut, you get no clue about what it is until you build it, when the worker arrives he is a ranger. Later when you get to hunting another fishermanr's hut is added to the list, this one has the hunter as worker and I noticed playing about there is another fishermanr's hut this time for the fish farmer io think.

I also found that I cannot build a coal mine, the coal mine building is in the list of large buildings so does not appear when I try to build on mountains with coal depostits, I only get the choce of a deep coal mine, which I can later upgrade to a deep coal mine the a deeper one.

For info I am running the latest stable release on Arch Linux.

Edited: 2016-11-23, 15:10

Top Quote