Latest Posts

Topic: Defenders don't want to go out in rev 7982

PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-05-01, 22:10

Playing a game in widelands rev 7982, I noticed that defenders no longer leave their buildings. In the lower left corner of my territory, there is a fortress. It is under attack. Only one defender left the castle to fight at the entrance, the rest are staying in. Even when some nearby barracks were attacked earlier, no help came from the fortress. Savegame at http://colecovision.eu/stuff/defenders_staying_in.wgf

Philipp

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-02, 07:59

Does this happen only for the Fortress?

I noticed something similar but on attack: If i attack an enemy mostly soldiers from small military buildings go out and attack, even if there buildings are far away from the frontier.

And please be patient when open new topics. The Sever needs some time to respond... I have deleted the double topic face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-05-02, 08:30

kaputtnik wrote:

Does this happen only for the Fortress?

So far only the fortress and some barracks to the right of it got attacked. Each time only 1 soldier left the fortress. The barracks are already dismantled in the savegame.

Philipp

Top Quote
PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-05-02, 09:16

I loaded an earlier savegame, and did an attack from the fortress. The yellow players buildings helped each other. And multiple soldiers did come out of the building I attacked.

Philipp

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-02, 09:41

In the attached savegame, there is only 1 military building in range, which is the fortress itself. The soldiers will come out one by one to fight until there are none left - this will give maximum protection to the building. Solders also try to retreat back to the building when they are seriously injured. If there was another nearby military building with more than 1 soldier in it, they should come to help - but there is none. I see soldiers arriving from the headquarters and entering the fortress, so everything's fine there as well. So, I don't see any bugs in the savegame you provided.

The case with the nearby Barracks that you mention might be interesting to analyze though, there might be unwanted behaviour there. If you don't have a savegame, maybe you still have a replay?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-02, 09:49

kaputtnik wrote:

And please be patient when open new topics. The Sever needs some time to respond... I have deleted the double topic face-smile.png

It often won't respond at all - the topic is created pretty fast, but the browser won't show the result. Maybe something for your todo-list if this still happens after the Django upgrade.

Edited: 2016-05-02, 09:49

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-05-02, 10:20

GunChleoc wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

It often won't respond at all - the topic is created pretty fast, but the browser won't show the result. Maybe something for your todo-list if this still happens after the Django upgrade.

My browser reported a timeout; I pressed F5 to reload, resulting in the double post.

Philipp

Top Quote
PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-05-02, 10:25

GunChleoc wrote:

In the attached savegame, there is only 1 military building in range, which is the fortress itself. The soldiers will come out one by one to fight until there are none left - this will give maximum protection to the building. Solders also try to retreat back to the building when they are seriously injured. If there was another nearby military building with more than 1 soldier in it, they should come to help - but there is none. I see soldiers arriving from the headquarters and entering the fortress, so everything's fine there as well. So, I don't see any bugs in the savegame you provided.

I would have preferred more of my solders to exit. My solders are stonger than the opponent's, and with more fights going on, the opponent would be defeated quicker. With the current one-by-one fights, enemy reinforcements and subseqeuent attacks are arriving faster than I can kill them. Also, when I attack a yellow building with multiple soldiers inside, more than one tend to come out.

The case with the nearby Barracks that you mention might be interesting to analyze though, there might be unwanted behaviour there. If you don't have a savegame, maybe you still have a replay?

I might have a look at it using older autosaves later today. Could it be that at the time the barracks were attacked, an attack on the fortress was already in progress, preventing soldiers from leaving the fortress?

Philipp

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-02, 12:16

one thing to take into account is that soldiers come out of buildings to intercept the invaders only when the invaders cross the border. so if the attacked fortress is close to the border, maybe the soldiers don't leave simply because they don't have time?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-05-02, 16:29

king_of_nowhere wrote:

one thing to take into account is that soldiers come out of buildings to intercept the invaders only when the invaders cross the border. so if the attacked fortress is close to the border, maybe the soldiers don't leave simply because they don't have time?

Good point. The entrance to the Fortress might simply be crowded.

Edited: 2016-05-02, 16:53

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote