Latest Posts

Topic: Editor tool help texts

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-03, 10:55

We have to change the hotkey for the 2nd alternative editor tool, and I am changing the help texts as well while I'm at it. Are the texts OK, or do you have any ideas for improvement?

tool helptexts

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-03, 12:31

As i understand you would change the ALT-key to CTRL? Corresponding Bug Report

I am currently unsure what the ALT key at all is used for. Now i see that this key has also effect on placing resources (the pointer changes) but i couldn't see any effect by clicking. And i am always confused about the ALT key in conjunction with the height tool. Maybe we could clarify this when changing the help texts?

Maybe we need different help texts for different tools to better clarify their meanings.

Edit: Hmm... seems the ALT key has no effect at all anymore. Could someone else check this in current trunk?

Edited: 2016-04-03, 12:36

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-03, 14:22

Left Alt never worked on Ubuntu for me, because the window manager grabs it. Right Alt is working though (Alt Gr)

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
MiroslavR

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-04-03, 16:27

Works for me with the Xfce window manager. Also, the new texts are fine with me.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-03, 18:27

Great - I have created a merge request now.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-03, 19:35

I am against this help text.

CTRL + Click: Set map elements to the selcted value

A normal click on the map sets the elements to selected values. This applies to resources as the height tool as well. Especially the height toll does something different with CTRL (former ALT). Also the ALT key has to be hold and then clicked.

Or am i totally wrong here?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-03, 19:53

The ALT key with height tool does something like flatten the ground (but i am not sure if this is really the right word for this). Somewhere i found a description but i couldn't find it anymore.

The ALT key with other tools have the same effect when hitting SHIFT (and Hold) and click: It removes bobs or resources.

I know that the ALT key is sometimes grabbed by some window managers. I could fortunately disable this behavior for each program, so i could use the ALT key in widelands.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-03, 19:56

kaputtnik wrote:

I am against this help text.

~~~~ CTRL + Click: Set map elements to the selcted value ~~~~

A normal click on the map sets the elements to selected values. This applies to resources as the height tool as well. Especially the height toll does something different with CTRL (former ALT). Also the ALT key has to be hold and then clicked.

Or am i totally wrong here?

Yes, you are wrong. For example, the resources tool. Just clicking will increase the resources, Shift-click will decrease the resources. Ctrl/Alt click will set the resources to the specified value. Same for the height tool.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-03, 20:06

GunChleoc wrote:

Yes, you are wrong. For example, the resources tool. Just clicking will increase the resources, Shift-click will decrease the resources. Ctrl/Alt click will set the resources to the specified value. Same for the height tool.

Using the editor for years but never known that. Yes you are right face-smile.png

Nevertheless i would prefer to better specify the helptext. Am i right that CTLR/ALT (hold) and click will set the values which are defined by "Set Value"? If yes the helptext should be like that (containing "Set Value").

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-03, 20:38

Using the editor for years but never known that. Yes you are right face-smile.png

Which confirms that changing the help texts is a good idea... who knows what "second alternative tool" means anyway face-tongue.png

Nevertheless i would prefer to better specify the helptext. Am i right that CTLR/ALT (hold) and click will set the values which are defined by "Set Value"? If yes the helptext should be like that (containing "Set Value").

What would you suggest? Sets map elements to the value selected by "Set Value"?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote