Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Attacking across water?

Magzimum
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-01-10, 12:59

I am playing a game where there is one large continent, and several lakes which each have a small island with some resources. The AI (barbarian) built ships and colonized one of the small islands. It built ports at all available locations, and also some towers and a fortress, which combined occupy the entire island. How can I attack it? I also have a port on the same lake. I have a ship, loaded for an expedition, and now waiting in front of that island such that several buildings are in active visual range. I have soldiers in the port (in its 'warehouse'), and soldiers in a fortress of my own at the shore. I have a 2nd ship too, which isn't doing much...

Screenshot here: http://s8.postimg.org/u08mn4aud/Screenshot.png

Somehow I feel like that should be enough, but clicking on the tower of the enemy doesn't allow an attack. Am I doing something wrong, or is attacking across water not possible yet? (In that case, all one needs to do is conquer an island to at least get a draw in a game of autocrat?).

I'm playing bzr7686-201601031816 (a daily from 1 week ago).

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-10, 14:59

Magzimum wrote:

Am I doing something wrong, or is attacking across water not possible yet?

Attacking an enemy on an island isn't possible at the moment. There are several ideas to solve this...

(In that case, all one needs to do is conquer an island to at least get a draw in a game of autocrat?).

Yes, you have to build ships and make expeditions before your enemy do this.

Or play this map with another win condition face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-01-10, 16:35

I would welcome the idea of naval invasions; I play until all CPU forces are completely wiped out, so this problem is exactly the reason I've been avoiding sea maps.

Top Quote
Magzimum
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-01-10, 19:28

Aww. Ok, so I will just continue that game until only the island remains, and then declare myself the winner, even though the game won't end. face-smile.png

I would also welcome the ability to do a naval invasion. Sea maps are a little weird if you cannot kick someone off an island once they completely conquered it. It no longer becomes a matter of having a strong economy (and thus military). It's just a rush to grab as much land with the cheapest military buildings as possible.

Anyway, thanks for the answers!

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-10, 22:26

yes, there are ideas to implement the chance of naval invasions, but it will be far in the future. for now, we can count as winnder the guy who remains in control of the main continent.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-11, 07:21

Naval invasions is an old topic. To do this we need to implement some more things. For example we need to make a port as a military building (garrison). But the port cannot attack by itself. So it is quite complicated face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-11, 11:24

and before that happpens, there are some critical bugs to fix in order to release the long-overdue build-19. So right now implementing a whole new feature that would require plenty of coding and would certainly introduce a plethora of new bugs is pretty low in the to-do list.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-11, 13:03

This is definitely something we should look into for Build 20.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote