Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Editor help

einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-21, 10:52

kaputtnik wrote:

And: It is not possible to place trees on water, ice floes, swamp or dead terrains so why should those terrains be in the list?

It is possible. But only on edge. Not completely surrounded by water.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-22, 14:31

What about terrains that do not allow trees but do allow resources? In the long run, we should add information about resources to the terrains, so adding code now that would remove those terrains from the list now doesn't make sense IMO. Then, there will only be a few terrains left that allow neither, and I think omitting those then would be confusing.

Edited: 2015-12-22, 14:31

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-23, 13:03

GunChleoc wrote:

What about terrains that do not allow trees but do allow resources? In the long run, we should add information about resources to the terrains, so adding code now that would remove those terrains from the list now doesn't make sense IMO.

Yes, you're right. I thought that the current help window is used to reflect only the terrain->tree problematic.

If this window should be used also for resources, bobs (animals) or other immovables (ruins, stones), it may must be reconsidered and reorganized. So we should first ask which information the help must contain and how to display the informations.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-24, 10:50

I remember questions on the forum about resources, so these are important.

I think critters and immovables are pretty self-explanatory.

In the long run, it would be nice to have general introduction texts, but this needs some additional programming - I was thinking of a system that will allow us to define help chapters in Lua.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-28, 10:38

GunChleoc wrote:

I think critters and immovables are pretty self-explanatory.

For immovables we have some with "size = none" which get removed from the map if one builds roads over them, and some with "size = small" which restrict the possibility of building roads. The latter ones are mostly clear, f.e. the burned ruins, but for other it isn't clear, f.e. "Debris" which looks similar to "Track" or ruins consisting of stones. Immovables which restrict building of roads should be explained imho.

And for critters it isn't clear which could be hunted. Currently there is only the duck which couldn't be hunted, but may we have other critters in future... I thought already to make a swan...

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-12-28, 19:04

In the editor, immovables probably should be split into two: "decorations" (those that have no gameplay effect because you can build roads over them) and "obstructions" (those that do effect gameplay because they block roads).

As for critters, I'd separate them into "game" (huntable animals) and "small animals" (non-huntable animals). "Predators" (lions, alligators, etc.) may be an idea for Widelands sometime in the future, but right now we don't have any. For now, if we want a predator I'd recommend the building "Bear's Cave" for a tutorial campaign; it'd function like a one-person military building, with a single high-stat "soldier" (the bear).

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-28, 21:50

Good ideas face-smile.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-29, 21:46

DragonAtma wrote:

In the editor, immovables probably should be split into two: "decorations" (those that have no gameplay effect because you can build roads over them) and "obstructions" (those that do effect gameplay because they block roads).

That could be done in Lua entirely by defining new editor categories, like kaputtnik did for the artifacts.

As for critters, I'd separate them into "game" (huntable animals) and "small animals" (non-huntable animals). "Predators" (lions, alligators, etc.) may be an idea for Widelands sometime in the future, but right now we don't have any. For now, if we want a predator I'd recommend the building "Bear's Cave" for a tutorial campaign; it'd function like a one-person military building, with a single high-stat "soldier" (the bear).

I really would like those split just like the immovables, but I never got around to that.

The reason that the duck can't be hunted is that hunters can't swim. Once we finish implementing the new shallow water/reef terrainn, they could be huntable in theory.

Edited: 2015-12-29, 21:46

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
staustelladam

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-12-31, 19:12

I like the bear cave idea for some non player combat type options ... it sounds good.

As for critters and other bobs, surely just changing the attributes should allow for all sorts of varied gameplay ... with game animals (bears, beavers etc) you have scope to "mine" fur for clothing, with mushrooms you could change the attribute to something allowing mushrooms to become a food/herb/drug product for use in training/healing.

The best thing about Widelands is that the only limit to what you can do is your imagination. I'd still like to see fishing boats though ... I'm guessing this could be managed by building a new fisher unit that is allowed on water ... anyone tried this yet?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-03, 15:43

kaputtnik wrote:

For immovables we have some with "size = none" which get removed from the map if one builds roads over them, and some with "size = small" which restrict the possibility of building roads.

Just an idea: Could we have immovables which have size = "none" but won't be removed from the surface if roads are build over them? Such immovables could may act as "terrain enhancements", f.e.

• Small snow pics which could make the transition from winter to other biomes smoother
  • Small Puddles which could be used to imagine a wet part of a map

Top Quote