Latest Posts

Topic: a curious behavior in multiplayer lobby

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-31, 14:23

I've noticed something very strange while waiting in lobby. Sometimes someone will log in, host a game, close the game, log out. All very fast, all without telling anything. They are not offering to play: they would ask, and they would wait for others to join. No, they enter, create, close, and quit. like this example from today:

[16:12] *** [omissis] joined the lobby

[16:12] *** The game fdgf is now available

[16:12] *** The game fdgf has been closed

[16:12] *** [omissis] left the lobby

I've seen it done in the past, by other people. At first I assumed it an odd quirk, but I've seen it too many times. So my question is, why do they do that?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-31, 15:39

I would assume that they just play around. Most people do that (me included) when they get a new toy, they just discover it by clicking around and see what happen.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-01, 17:11

Maybe they also check their firewall settings? the metaserver tests if your game is reachable, i.e. a check that you configured your port forwarding correctly.

Top Quote
yanto
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2015-11-01, 22:14

what about play wih via hamachi,we will know,who's online people

Top Quote
Vassili
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-11-02, 08:23

Play with Hamachi? It's a joke? Hamachi install you virtual interface, a software, and some other stuff, just for do a proprietary VPN... Why using a bad VPN when direct connection and metaserver work? Widelands don't contain DRM who block multiplayer games. You was saying it's for see people online, but i seriously think taht people who will not wait on the lobby, will not wait on Hamachi. What about an irc channel for the lobby? It's what some good games (like Battlezone II) do, and it's perfect for looking the lobby without launching the game.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-11-02, 09:55

> *Vassili wrote:*

> What about an irc channel for the lobby? It's what some good games (like Battlezone II) do, and it's perfect for looking the lobby without launching the game.

There is an IRC channel: #widelands on FreeNode (also known as irc://irc.freenode.net/widelands).

This channel is populated bidirectional by and to the game metaserver lobby chat. Also it is the target of the https://wl.widelands.org/webchat/ Link, which allows chatting in that channel without having an IRC client.

Is widelands a good game then? :-)

CMake is evil.

Top Quote