Latest Posts

Topic: [Game World] Trees

fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2015-06-30, 19:03

My plan is to include all kinds of different trees. Some with (almost) straight trunks and some with (more) bended ones. Also there will be different trees for different climate zones including cacti for our deserts face-wink.png .

Edited: 2015-06-30, 19:04

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-06-30, 19:33

Unfortunately, most cacti are too small to provide sufficient lumbver/equivalent. The main exception (the kind people usually think of) is saguaro, but those are only found in Arizona and Sonora. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carnegiea_gigantea_range_map_3.png

Fortunately, some trees grow in deserts (or near-deserts), such as acacia.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-06-30, 19:39

OMG, Widelands is not the real world. face-wink.png Remember that palm trees grow in greenlands (wasn’t it winterlands too?), though they normally don’t do that in our world. (I must admit, that still strikes me strange when I see them growing on a meadow, but that’s another topic…)

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-30, 21:10

Venatrix wrote:

OMG, Widelands is not the real world. face-wink.png

I fully agree. But...

Remember that palm trees grow in greenlands (wasn’t it winterlands too?), though they normally don’t do that in our world. (I must admit, that still strikes me strange when I see them growing on a meadow, but that’s another topic…)

most things of the widelands world has a counterpart in the real world and so a human compares the widelands world with the real world in all things. Some "unreal" (like palms on meadow) is disturbing. If all the trees would be trees of fantasy (or nobody knows all the type of trees), it would not disturb anybody... then any tree would look as a simple tree on each terrain type.

Widelands is not the real world, but the real world is partly a template for widelands. Changing something in widelands into fantasy would cause irritation to the player. Using fantasy things is also difficult: Than we have to use fantasy names for the things (f.e. trees) and localization is much harder.

I would like to see more fantasy in widelands, but i think there isn't enough man/women-power to do so face-sad.png

Edited: 2015-06-30, 21:11

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-01, 05:07

fraang wrote:

My plan is to include all kinds of different trees. Some with (almost) straight trunks and some with (more) bended ones. Also there will be different trees for different climate zones including cacti for our deserts face-wink.png .

If so: Great work! Nice Baobab! face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-01, 10:42

Venatrix wrote:

OMG, Widelands is not the real world. face-wink.png Remember that palm trees grow in greenlands (wasn’t it winterlands too?), though they normally don’t do that in our world.

Not quite true face-wink.png

Great work Fraang! I agree that the trunk should be a little bit less straight though - just a little variation in thickness or direction will do it.

Edited: 2015-07-01, 10:44

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-01, 21:33

Venatrix wrote:

Remember that palm trees grow in greenlands (wasn’t it winterlands too?), though they normally don’t do that in our world. (I must admit, that still strikes me strange when I see them growing on a meadow, but that’s another topic…)

Actually, palm trees are more adaptable than people give them credit for. there are several of them in rome (although they are not native), and while rome is known for a warm climate, sub-freezing temperatures happen sporadicallly from november to february, and every decade or two sees a major snowfalll. palms growing there show that they can survive being occasionally blanketed by snow for a few days.

however, palms do not thrive in places where it snows most years, so seeing them as the most common tree in winterland is a bit ridiculous.

For that, it had been proposed to intriduce "tree resources" that would limit tree growth to a certain kind of trees, which could be decided in the map editor. to my knowledge, it has never been tried seriously. But I may have a better idea. Now, terrains have values of humidity, fertility and temperature, and each tree has an optimal range for each of those values. we could add another parameter, "world type", which could be greenland, summer, winter, and wasteland, with the condition: if a land is greenland, only a greenland tree can be planted there. if a land is summer, only a summer tree can grow there, and so on. if a tree is on the boundary between different types of land, a tree must be th type of one of those land, so if you put together summer and greenlland both palms and deciduous trees can grow there, but not mushroom trees. Some leeway could be given for greenland trees to grow in summer, and viceversa, and for greenland trees to grow in winter, and viceversa. palms can grow in temperate climates, and coniferous trees too, but palms ddo not grow in cold climates and coniferous don't grow in the tropics.

As for making giant cact that could be chopped like any other tree, sure, why not? we already have several trees that do not exist in our world for the wasteland terrain, so adding a few imaginary species of cacti would not do any harm in my opinion.

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-07-02, 17:39

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Actually, palm trees are more adaptable than people give them credit for.

Yes, but they will never grow in this part of the world.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-02, 21:26

Maybe we could get rid of humidity, temperature and so on altogether, and introduce biomes, one terrain will belong to one biome and each tree would be linked to one or more biomes

Biomes could correspond to old types of words, but it is not necessary, we can have more biomes....

Or each tree could have one or more biomes where it grows good, another biome(s) where it grows badly, and other biomes where it doesnt grow at all. But spliting to two categories would do as well.

Just thinking...

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-02, 21:44

Tibor wrote:

Maybe we could get rid of humidity, temperature and so on altogether, and introduce biomes, one terrain will belong to one biome and each tree would be linked to one or more biomes

We should discuss the tree/terrain problem in another thread....

Edit: Trees and Terrains

Edited: 2015-07-02, 23:04

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote