Latest Posts

Topic: Translation to Spanish

Dishito
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-12-02, 22:42

Hi everyone!

Here i am working with the Spanish translation. I have a questions.

• We just go to translate to one Spanish? Because...like the english from US and the english from GB, there's different vocabulary between Spain and Latin América...even between countries from Latin América. Bucket in spanish from Spain is 'Cubo'. In some countries like Mexico, they call it 'Cubeta', and in my country, in Argentina, is 'Balde'. So...I was thinking in 'argentinian' and now, I have changed 'Balde' to 'Cubo'. In Minecraft, for example, there is a spanish (Spain), a spanish (Mexico) and a spanish (Argentina).

• Then, i want to be sure. This is a bread paddle?

• One thing more. There is redwood, and it's translated to 'vigas' in spanish for the build 18, but I'm not sure what is redwood. Because wordreference says it's 'secuoya'. Redwood is like a girder? Because, that's the translation it has in build-18.

Edited: 2014-12-02, 22:57

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-12-03, 00:13
  • Bread paddle: Yes, it is the tool the bakers need.
  • Redwood: It is indeed a very big tree. But I have never heard that word in Widelands. Can you point me to where it is used?
  • Different Spanishes: In the wiki, you can create as many dictionaries as you want. For the translations on Launchpad, you have to ask GunChleoc - she is our elder of tongues and knows probably best what to do. While it surely would be nice to have different versions of Spanish, keep in mind that the translations need to be updated from time to time (when new strings appear). Furhtermore, I do not know how many Spanish players are there. Given the amount of Spanish forum posts and the state of the Spanish translation, there seem not to be so much. So I wonder whether it is worth spending much time in doing various translations.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
Dishito
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-12-03, 01:47

Ok. The problem is, i'm argentinian, and I talk with spanish very much but, not enough to know how they call to everything. I will do my best.

The tool used to remove the bread from the oven here is called shovel pizzera, and pizzera is an argentinian word. I will translate this to oven shovel. It's difficult when there is not translation for some words, because we use our words for some things, or we use words without translate them, like item or chat, we use this words.

I have to play more to be sure, but...I thing I'll have problems with the translation.

In spanish, the person who make helmets, tools, armor is a blacksmith. The weapons can be made by a 'forjador' in a 'forja' (forge) but there isn't a forge in the dictionaries.

For example, the weapons like swords are forged in the forge. Hot metal is hit in the anvil and cooled with water. The armor is hit with a hammer by the blacksmith. The helmet and I suppose the shields too.

The tools have the same process. Heated and cooled by the blacksmith in the forge.

All life for me was, blacksmithy for armor, helmet and shield. And the armory with the forge, to make and store the weapons.

I'm ok?

This is talking in spanish but in english, in the game, you have a place for everything.

• Tool smithy
  • Helm smithy
  • Armor smithy
  • Weapon smithy

I'm not sure because in the build-18 there is weaponsmith like twice, a blacksmith and smelter translated to 'forjador', who work in the forge. This because was translated that way by someone...and I understand if he/she didn't know how to translate what it's the same thing in our language with differents words.

Maybe...I'll finish converting workers to more than one-word translation.

• Tool maker
  • Helm maker
  • Armor maker
  • Weapon -> Forger?

I think it's the best in spanish.

Edited: 2014-12-03, 02:06

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-12-03, 09:26

It is important to have distinct translations for each item in the dictionary, if at all possible. It is fine to go with composite words like "Tool maker" or "Tool forger". If the space on screen should be too small to fit a string, just let me know and I will create more space.

As to which Spanish to use - since we don't have a complete generic Spanish translation, I'd go with what wl-zocker said about translating to the es locale in your best generic Spanish. We can always go ahead and add an es_AR locale later - but I see that far in the future, and only if you have the time to maintain 2 locales, or if we find more translators.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Dishito
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-12-03, 17:32

Ok...I will go to use composite words. Thx

Top Quote
MorehasH
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2015-06-15, 21:13

Hi to all!!

I'm answering this old message because I've just met you and your fabulous game and I got so excited that I went to Transifex and translated the remainder of Widelands Main and almost all the Tutorial 1!!

I think I can translate the whole project but I don't know how much time I can spare. Anyhow I wanted to know if I am doing right, and what should I do to get my strings reviewed.

I have read most of the relevant posts on this forum and the contribute and TranslatingWidelands post, but let me know any additional stuff I have to keep in mind, please.

I can't thank you enough for giving birth to this masterpiece.

PD: I'm a good Java coder, might this be of any use in this scenario?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-17, 10:03

Bienvenido! face-smile.png

Reviving this thread is fine.

Thank you very much for your contribution! All translations will be added to the game, even without a review. I am travelling though, so it will be about a month before I can update translations for the game again.

Whether a review process takes place depends on whether one of our Spanish reviewers finds the time to look over your work. Maybe you can drop them a message on Transifex? If they are happy with your work, I could give you review powers as well.

Regarding programming, we use a mix of C++, Lua and Python to create the game. You could also get involved with improving the software that runs our website. C++ is less forgiving than Java, but since you are already familiar with object-oriented programming, you should be able to learn. The main things to get used to are pointers and the separate header files. The sites I use are:

http://www.learncpp.com/

http://www.cplusplus.com/

You will need to get the code, choose a lowhangingfruit to work on, create a branch for it and compile. We also have some Widelands code-specific documentation on the website. Personally, I use QT Creator to navigate the code.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
MorehasH
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2015-06-20, 10:44

¡Muchas gracias!

Thank you very much for such a good quality info! I'd love to get into c++ but I think I'll start with the translations and see where I can go from there. I need some free time to enjoy the game too! XD

I finished translating the 4 tutorials, which I think were pretty important, so I'll go for the tribes now. I got no reply in transifex from the spanish reviewers, but as the translations can't be added to the game right now there is no hurry.

I'll try to get involved in the project, but I can't promise anything. Thank you again for the nice welcome!

Top Quote
MorehasH
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2015-06-21, 11:09

Hi! I have two questions now:

How can I play tutorials 2-4? In the main menu there is a "Play Tutorial" button which leads you to first tutorial, but I can't find the rest...

I need some context with several translations. How can I know where is a certain message displaying in-game?

Thanks!

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-06-21, 11:56

The new tutorials have been created after build-18, so you need a development version to test them. See https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/Download/#unofficial_development_builds.

Context of translations: On https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/TranslatingWidelands/, there is a table which lists which resources belong where. For every string, there is also an entry "occurance" (or whatever it is called) on Transifex which points you to the file where the string appears. Maybe you can gather some information from there. Finally, if there are only some strings left, you can ask for them in the forum (or directly other translators).

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote