Latest Posts

Topic: More in-game help info

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-12, 21:59

I have just pushed some changes to the development version - the Tribal Encyclopedia now also has information on workers and buildings. We will probably do a redesign on these in the future when we can have clickable links in fulltext, but I wanted to get the information into the UI now.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-06-10, 13:47

Yesterday I had a look in there for the first time. It’s good for the first draft. face-wink.png

I encountered a minor issue: When I first had a look at the worker tab and clicked on any worker, the text displayed was only an error message. I can’t remember, what was written there exactly, but he seemed to have troubles parsing the config files or something. Then I clicked on the buildings tab, saw everything working fine and got back to the workers, there was no problem there anymore. As I can’t reproduce it anymore, I guess that was an initiation problem.

Anway, I wanted to point to something else: The workers don’t have too much entries. Only a small description and what tool they use. The description seems to be titled "lore" and I wonder whether this is appropriate. Expecially since the same word is used in the building’s help when it’s normally a not a description but a more or less funny citation out of the tribe’s history. So either we change that to "description" or we have to think about more lore texts. The only one who already has one is the scout. face-wink.png

BTW, when the tribal encyclopedia shows the building help as well, shouldn’t we just let it open on the associated page when the player clicks on the help button of a building instead of opening a new window with only the building’s help?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-10, 17:52

Venatrix wrote:

Yesterday I had a look in there for the first time. It’s good for the first draft. face-wink.png

I encountered a minor issue: When I first had a look at the worker tab and clicked on any worker, the text displayed was only an error message. I can’t remember, what was written there exactly, but he seemed to have troubles parsing the config files or something. Then I clicked on the buildings tab, saw everything working fine and got back to the workers, there was no problem there anymore. As I can’t reproduce it anymore, I guess that was an initiation problem.

Please make a screenshot or write down the error message if this happens again.

Anway, I wanted to point to something else: The workers don’t have too much entries. Only a small description and what tool they use.

This is because I only used content that was already there.

The description seems to be titled "lore" and I wonder whether this is appropriate. Expecially since the same word is used in the building’s help when it’s normally a not a description but a more or less funny citation out of the tribe’s history. So either we change that to "description" or we have to think about more lore texts. The only one who already has one is the scout. face-wink.png

How about "Purpose"?

BTW, when the tribal encyclopedia shows the building help as well, shouldn’t we just let it open on the associated page when the player clicks on the help button of a building instead of opening a new window with only the building’s help?

I also thought about this. I know that SirVer has something in mind for the help system when we finally finish the new font renderer, so I'd rather wait for that than programming something now that will be scrapped before build19 anyway.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-06-10, 19:33

GunChleoc wrote:

Venatrix wrote:

Please make a screenshot or write down the error message if this happens again.

I guess, I should have done that, but I wasn’t expecting the message to disappear that fast…

Anway, I wanted to point to something else: The workers don’t have too much entries. Only a small description and what tool they use.

This is because I only used content that was already there.

That wasn’t a complaint. I didn’t expect much to be there anyway. Though I guess, a hint about where they are working (at least I think, that’s missing), would be nice.

The description seems to be titled "lore" and I wonder whether this is appropriate. Expecially since the same word is used in the building’s help when it’s normally a not a description but a more or less funny citation out of the tribe’s history. So either we change that to "description" or we have to think about more lore texts. The only one who already has one is the scout. face-wink.png

How about "Purpose"?

That’s acceptable, I think.

I also thought about this. I know that SirVer has something in mind for the help system when we finally finish the new font renderer, so I'd rather wait for that than programming something now that will be scrapped before build19 anyway.

Sure thing.

So the renderer will be in 19? It’s quite a list of major changes since the last build. Nice. face-smile.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-15, 09:46

Yes, we want the renderer and One Tribe in build19, as well as an improved help system. So, build19 won't be available until we get these done and tested for a while. We were hoping to release Build19 sometime this year, but at the rate we're going I think it will probably take us until sometime next year to get it done. I have also started working on support for Arabic with the help of our localizer. Arabic will need some GUI fixes as well though, so it's still a long way to go.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote