Topic: Widelands Editor issues

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-11, 17:58

Thanks for offering to do more testing face-smile.png

You can see the branches we are discussing for merging here:

https://code.launchpad.net/widelands/+activereviews

Virtual Machines are tricky for us I guess. I don't have any computer that is fast enough to run one so I could compile stuff without wanting to jump off a building. This makes reproducing Vm-related bugs very hard face-sad.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-05-11, 20:33

GunChleoc

For other tests, I don't know how to write them. Somebody will have to teach me how.

And that's nothing to be ashamed of. face-smile.png In fact it's likely a contributing factor to the overall lack of test because few people know how to write them.

einstein13 wrote:

I know that I don't have much time in my life, but I want to make something to Widelands community. Not only complaining and writing about bugs on this forum. So I am open to be a tester for new features.

That's great, we all contribute as much as and how we are able. Also, complaints where it is possible to have a fruitful discussion like this are useful too.

re: "corrupted". I see, I wondered if it was mainly a graphics problem showing a messed-up display or similar. Vms usually use their own graphics drivers, and these aren't necessarily made with games in mind. Like you said, it might be an issue with the vm / WMware player, but it could be anything and it's hard to tell.

SDL2? How old is that? face-smile.png Probably none of my games is going with that. (..) If you have any good game which uses SDL2, I can check it working too face-wink.png If it still fails- I will blame the virtual machine, not Widelands face-tongue.png

The new version of the library was released roughly two years ago (the old one was 1.2). But then it takes some time before it is packaged and becomes widely enough available for developers to start using it in their projects. And even if a project has switched to SDL2, they have their release schedules so might take a while to get an official release. With that in mind I can't think of any games which have shipped a release build using SDL2. There probably is but I'm not personally aware of any.

If you are up for compiling yourself and like isometric hack-n-slash/action-rpg, then I can recommend FLARE. (Disclaimer: I'm a FLARE contributor) Like Widelands, it's only the development version which use SDL2. The previous release is fun too, but uses an older version of SDL so it would be hard to say whether that's the cause of the problems or not.

I can't host on my virtual machines. I was trying to forward port from host machine, but I failed. I can play only multiplayer games withing my computer: one virtual machine is hosting, second is playing with direct connection. But I can join other people face-smile.png

Similar to how you need to forward ports from your router to your physical machine, you might need to forward the same ports from your host to guest vm. Sounds like what you tried, in which case I guess the WMware documentation should say something about this. I remember fighting with VirtualBox over something like this, but I can't remember if I ever got it to work or not. Apparently, network traffic between vms or host<->vm is fine, but if you want to talk to a vm from the outside you need to configure it.

Ships!

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-11, 20:51

hjd wrote:

The new version of the library was released roughly two years ago (the old one was 1.2). But then it takes some time before it is packaged and becomes widely enough available for developers to start using it in their projects. And even if a project has switched to SDL2, they have their release schedules so might take a while to get an official release. With that in mind I can't think of any games which have shipped a release build using SDL2. There probably is but I'm not personally aware of any.

http://neverball.org/ uses SDL2 in their latest release.

I'm a localizer, so I get around *lol

If you are up for compiling yourself and like isometric hack-n-slash/action-rpg, then I can recommend FLARE. (Disclaimer: I'm a FLARE contributor) Like Widelands, it's only the development version which use SDL2. The previous release is fun too, but uses an older version of SDL so it would be hard to say whether that's the cause of the problems or not.

FLARE is great fun face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-12, 01:47

FLARE is great fun face-smile.png

Are you talking about FUN? (Another explanation of FUN)

About those games: I would like to try those games, but I can't find any developement version of them face-confused.png Especially flare is something I would like to try (RPG game?). Neverball is type of game I don't like, but can try face-tongue.png Especially if it will test my vm devices...

I know that VMware player provides 3D acceleration with its devices. With that most of thigs are going well with my systems there face-wink.png

About hosting within VM: I did change my router settings within 127.0.0.X page and it was easy. With vm it is a bit more complicated: there is no such a page face-grin.png I guess that there is some kind of console/terminal/command line available with vmware workstation (not free) and not available with vmware player (free). But I am not sure now about everything face-wink.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-12, 10:52

einstein13 wrote:

(Another explanation of FUN

ROFL

For Neverball, the last release will do, it's already on SDL2. Just for testing.

Edited: 2015-05-12, 10:53

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-12, 19:39

kaputtnik wrote:

einstein13 wrote:

1. Secondary tool

See bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1392215 and the following bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1418050

Found the bug face-smile.png

https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/bug-1418050/+merge/258913

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-14, 22:59

Thank you community face-smile.png

I've found how to make a server for game on Virtual machine:

http://www.howtogeek.com/122641/how-to-forward-ports-to-a-virtual-machine-and-use-it-as-a-server/

It works!

Now I can host any dev version you want face-wink.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-15, 08:50

Excellent face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-05-16, 20:50

I know that I don't have much time in my life, but I want to make something to Widelands community. Not only complaining and writing about bugs on this forum. So I am open to be a tester for new features.

(Oh yes, I know I've used the same quote earlier.)

Apart from what we've discussed earlier, I have a couple of concrete sugggestions where contribution is needed:

1. Verification/deduplication (specific): There was recently merged some code to fix a bug. Based on the comments, it looks like there might be another bug and even a third one which is triggered by the root cause of this. It would be great if we could get some verification that a) the first bug has been fixed and b) that the two others no longer occurs either. Based on that we might wish to mark them as duplicates or we need to dig more into them to figure out what is wrong.

2. Verification (in general): Keep an eye on bugs which are marked as fix committed as they are fixed. Apart from the developer working on a fix and potentially the person doing code review, there is no verification step when marking these bugs as fixed. It could be a great benefit if someone could check in on bugs which are marked as fixed and verified whether this is indeed the case, if the bug is still there and need to be reopened or if there is another way to trigger it/similar issues etc which need to be reported. The sooner after a fix has been committed, the better since it will be fresh in a developers mind if he or she needs to do some additional tweaking.

3. A mountain: If you find suggestion #2 intriguing, there's been a lot of bugs which have already been closed and marked as fix committed which is due to be released as part of build19. Here's a list of all bugs assigned to the next milestone. To my knowledge very few of the bugs marked as fixed have been verified. Please keep in mind that this is just a suggestion and no one is forcing you :p Especially not to dig through ~250 bug reports unless you really really want to...

4. A hill: Slightly less intimidating than the list of fixed bugs, is the list of new bugs. When reported, bug status defaults to new which means there might not even have been looked at. Looking over incoming bug reports, confirming the ones which can be reproduced and tagging them so they are easy to find makes it easier for developers to tell what they should be working on next. I wrote a bit on triaging/working with bugs, but it was a while back so shout at - err... let me know if something is horribly outdated or unclear. Or feel free to edit it, it's a wiki after all. face-smile.png

Let me know if any of the suggestions sounds like something you could be interested in.

Ships!

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-16, 21:20

@hjd,

at least two persons guarantee that a bug is fixed - coder and reviewer, both of them test the game and generally the process should be reliable, but of course third person looking into it would not hurt. And sometimes it wants bit a creativity to come up with some special situation or corner case that can trigger the misbehavior, so yes two persons can overlook something. And also, if somebody compile and test and say the game works fine, the other person who is reading the code would save some time (he would just skip compilation and all this stuff)

But on the other hand, if bug is not fixed or there is something left, it will be found soon, because people use trunk very frequently (and this is very good from bug hunting perspective)

So in summary - go on with reviewing merging requests, you can do a lot of work even without looking at the code

Top Quote