Topic: Tribe emblems

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-07, 23:33

GunChleoc wrote:

They are actually used in the multiplayer start game screen.

Ah, ok face-smile.png

I always found the Barbarian logo too busy. At the small size, I can't really see what it's supposed to be.

Too many signs in there, and maybe too detailed i think.

Maybe remove the skull entirely?

As written, a previous rework. I am not satisfied with this emblem at all. In the end they all should look equal in design preferences. So, one design but three different emblems.

The atlantean emblem reminds me every time to a porthole of a ship face-grin.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-08, 10:08

kaputtnik wrote:

einstein13 wrote:

In my country (Poland) donkey is a symbol of stupidity. Do you want to make Empire silly?

The donkey has more symbolic than stupidity or stubborn. Its also known as a working animal, resistant and sustained. I think we shoudn't work on the game with such a severity. A bit humor gives him a little bit fun face-smile.png

I agree, that we should have some fun, but If you create something for ever, it shouldn't be more fun than appropriate.

But still I will not agree to have official emblem for Empire like that.

In general i want to display the things which are typical for the tribe to help to join it to the tribe.

Maybe warrior and marble column will be more traditional for emblem. It can be also the Tower. On emblems are castles/ towers, swords, other important things. Animals are rather rare. I've spotted them only when the name of family was connected to an animal.

And if you want some bad joke about Barbarians, you can make red background, cross axe and scythe and leave that star. You will have comunnistic symbol face-wink.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-05-08, 11:04

einstein13 wrote:

And if you want some bad joke about Barbarians, you can make red background, cross axe and scythe and leave that star. You will have comunnistic symbol face-wink.png

That would turn Widelands into a geopolitical battlefield. We would find ourselves in endless discussions about which country is, today, best represented by a communist symbol.

Edited: 2015-05-08, 11:04

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-08, 16:20

I think einstein only said that to prove a point, it wasn't a serious suggestion face-wink.png

Animals do appear on crests, but it's usually not domesticated ones - you see a lot of lions. Kings in the UK have used a lion and a stag together.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-08, 18:23

einstein13 wrote:

But still I will not agree to have official emblem for Empire like that.

Yes, i think the donkey was a funny idea, but is useless face-smile.png

face-grin.png

Human emblems have great variations, some with animals, some with plants, some with buildings. most are stylized in a geometrical way, other are stylized in a natural way. f.e. the outer form of an emblem is mostly a stylized shield. Who associates the outer form with a shield?
I think nobody could say "a emblem has to be so and so".

My opinion for Empire tribe goes to colummn(s) + wine/vine. Just because these things are only available to this tribe.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-09, 08:33

I think columns and wine is a good idea. It emphasizes the game's philosophy to focus on economy rather than warfare.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote