Latest Posts

Topic: English translation thread

DragonAtma
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-12-30, 17:15

If we're going that far, we may as well split en_US into en_US_northeast, en_US_south, en_US_midwest, and en_US_west. ;)
http://discovermagazine.com/galleries/2013/june/regional-us-language-dialect

On a more serious note, I suggested "oven paddle" in the hope that it's a term that makes sense to everyone. "Baker's shovel" also works; although (at least up north) the word "shovel" suggests the snow-removal tool, it's the same shape as the oven paddle (so it's easy to understand even without the icon).

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-12-30, 23:59

DragonAtma wrote:

If we're going that far, ....

Why "If"? Have a look at the translation page https://translations.launchpad.net/widelands you'll see there are already different en_-languages, only en_US is missing (i am not sure, why).

What i want to say here: We shouldn't focus on the exact wording in the source code, because it does not represent a specific, correct language. And changing strings in source always requires re-translation. Widelands is a community project, and everyone can contribute if he wants. So we should "activate" every possible language code for Launchpad translation and if some native speaker is not happy with a certain wording, he can just contribute by doing a (more) correct translation. No hassle for source code changes or any other translator/language...

Or am i wrong? Do we want to represent the strings in the source code en_US (because it is missing in translations) or another actual language?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-09, 20:53

I somehow missed the last few posts... I would like to keep the source strings as close to correct en_US as possible, because I would still like to have something consistent and with high quality for those who don't have their specific language available. Since there is no consensus on this term, let's leave it like it is for now.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-05, 11:45

We are currently discussing refining the naming scheme for rocks and stone in this thread: https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/1674/?page=1#post-13295. In a nutshell, it is a bit weird that the Barbarians would use Granite at the Lime Burner. My current suggestion is:

• Rocks

• Atlanteans: Quarry -> Limestone
    • Barbarians: Quarry -> Limestone
    • Empire: Quarry -> Limestone, Marble
  • Stones

• Atlanteans: Crystal Mine -> Limestone, Quartz, Diamond
    • Barbarians: Limestone Mine -> Limestone
    • Empire: Marble Mine -> Limestone, Marble

If you have any ideas/comments, please head over to the other thread face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-16, 10:06

I need some native speaker intuition: are rocks, standing, lying, or sitting?

I'm talking about the rocks that will be cut by a quarry.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-04-16, 19:09

All three words would be doable; it depends on the rock's position.

"The rock is standing.": the rock is vertical, like stonehenge rocks | | |
"The rock is lying.": the rock is horizontal, like stonehenge rocks that fell over _ _ _
"The rock is sitting.": the rock isn't really thin enough to be considered horizontal or vertical. () []

Google image searches on "standing rock" and "sitting rock" gives examples for those; unfortunately, "lying rock" gives pictures of people, tigers, etc. lying on rocks.

My verdict? "Standing" and "sitting" both work for the large, uncut rocks; "sitting" and "lying" both work for the individual cut rocks that can be transported.

Edited: 2015-04-16, 19:09

Top Quote
tuggyne

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-04-16, 20:18

GunChleoc wrote:

I need some native speaker intuition: are rocks, standing, lying, or sitting?

I'm talking about the rocks that will be cut by a quarry.

A standing stone is specifically something that was set up on purpose, or looks like it. (Stonehenge being an example.) That's not what we want. Standing rocks are not really the same thing, but the phrase isn't all that common.

It would be more natural to talk about rocks lying around, but that's fairly informal language and doesn't work well as a description of the rocks themselves (which is what we want). Instead, you might just go ahead and say "quarry stone".

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-17, 10:46

OK, seems like I led you down the garden path face-sad.png These are the sentences that it appears in:

Hey, my good old friend. I just thought about the rocks standing on the south shore of this land. Perhaps we could cut out some useful hard stones and beautiful marble.

Stones can be mined in granite mines, but the easier way is to build a quarry next to some rocks lying around. As it happens, there is a pile of them just to the west (left) of your headquarters. I will teach you now how to move your view over there.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-04-18, 00:11

My advice is the same: check whether the rocks look closest to a human standing (mostly vertical), a human sitting down (equally vertical and horizontal, give or take), or a lying human (mostly horizontal), and use the same word for them.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-18, 14:06

Well, you know what the rocks look like that the quarry will quarry - I'm unsure if they are lying or sitting, which is why I asked face-wink.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote