Topic: German translation issues

Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-27, 20:27

millimarg wrote:

• Scout: “Kundschafter” seems good to me
  • Scout's hut: “Kundschafterhaus/-hütte” looks a bit strange but I don't know a better term …
  • to scout / to explore: “erkunden”
  • Garrison: either “Garnison” or “Besatzung”; “Garnison” is rather military jargon …
  • future “barracks”: “Kaserne”, as it's as well the correct German translation and meets the future purpose.
  • Blockhouse: either “Baracke” or “Fort”, where the latter seems a bit too “big” to me …
  • Replay: “Aufzeichnung” (without “Spiel-”) and “Aufzeichnung abspielen”
  • Tab: “Reiter” (→ “Tab” is a Anglicism)

OK, I take that over to the glossary and start working on the correction.

• Savegame / saved game / save game: Although “gespeicherter Spielstand” would fit most, it's too clumsy and bulky. But “Speicherstand” really sounds peculiar …

I guess that’s the main reason, why there’s the use of “Spielstand”. Another word for “save” that we could use, of course, is “sichern”, but I don’t find a fitting noun… “Spielsicherung”? Even “gesichertes Spiel” sounds worse than “gespeichertes Spiel”…

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-27, 20:52

How about being less literal and omitting "gespeichertes"? "Spiel laden" should to the trick.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
millimarg
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-02-27, 21:52

Gilded Armor [...] How shall we translate it? Goldener Harnisch? Goldharnisch? Vergoldeter Harnisch? Schmuckharnisch? Geschmückter Harnisch?

You have many Ideas, where IMHO “Goldharnisch” fits most. It's short and good to read and looks compared to something bulky like “Vergoldeter Harnisch” way better.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-27, 22:06

millimarg wrote:

Gilded Armor [...] How shall we translate it? Goldener Harnisch? Goldharnisch? Vergoldeter Harnisch? Schmuckharnisch? Geschmückter Harnisch?

You have many Ideas, where IMHO “Goldharnisch” fits most. It's short and good to read and looks compared to something bulky like “Vergoldeter Harnisch” way better.

Thanks, I’m mostly using leo.org and duden.de and trying to find something fitting from the translations and synonyms I find there. face-wink.png

So it shall be “Goldharnisch”, if noone objects.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
millimarg
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-02-27, 22:16

GunChleoc wrote:

How about being less literal and omitting "gespeichertes"? "Spiel laden" should to the trick.

In this case we might use “Spielstand” after all. Although fuchur and wl-zocker already pointed out, “save game” rather refers to the file, whereas “Spielstand” is the state of the game (see above), I think in this case both - state or file - can be meant.

So we'd have the following cases:

• “load saved game”: “Spielstand laden”
  • “save game”: “Spielstand sichern” (→ note “sichern” instead of “speichern”, since it refers to the currenct state of the game)
  • “delete saved game”: “Spielstand löschen”? No, here obviously the file is meant, so maybe only “löschen”? Hmm ... Or “Sicherung löschen”? “Gesicherten Spielstand löschen”?

As you can see, this makes the translations much more inconsistent than making it simpler ... So another option would be to use an Anglicism, but that would be a really ugly solution.

After all, I'd now prefer using “Spielstand” alone (or in combination with “sichern”) where it fits and anywhere else “gespeicherter Spielstand”, although it's bulky and long to read.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-03-01, 22:30

Is it really a good idea to translate “client” with “Benutzer”? Since it’s the counterpart of “host” and a technical term, I’m not very fond of it. Especially when the term “user” is used as well with the obvious translation “Benutzer”, too. How do you feel about not translating “client” at all?

I still couldn’t make my mind up about save[d ]game, can we have more input there, please?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-02, 08:54

Client = Client. "Benutzer" is definitiv falsch - das siehst Du schon richtig, daß das die Übersetzung für "User" ist.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client

Ich gehe bei solchen Fragen ganz gerne in die englischsprachige Wikipedia und schau dann im Sprachmenü nach, ob es einen deutschen Artikel zu dem Thema gibt. Das funktioniert meistens sehr gut.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-03-02, 09:21

OK, hab’s im Glossar und in den Einträgen geändert.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-03-02, 20:31

I have trouble with the raw stones and rocks now. Both are translated with “Felsen”, which can be very confusing. I know, the raw stones are going to be renamed to granite (I guess they will be called “Granit” then?), but until then I have a serious problem with those terms. Shall I ignore it for now and wait for the renaming?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-03, 08:20

How do you call the Atlantean/Emipre stones? Give them the same name. "Felsen" isn't really appropriate anyway, they are supposed to be roughly hewn blocks of stone.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote