Latest Posts

Topic: German translation issues

millimarg
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-02-20, 12:52

I raised another question (in the wrong thread ...), concerning quotation marks: https://wl.widelands.org/forum/post/12747/. We should nonetheless discuss this here.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-20, 12:54

"geheimnisvoll" would work I think.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
millimarg
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-02-20, 13:09

If the others also agree I do the change.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-20, 13:22

Though ”geheimnisvoll“ sounds good (whoo, spooky), i’m not entirely sure it’s fitting. How about ”seltsam“, ”sonderbar“, ”fremd“ or ”fremdartig“? face-wink.png I feel like I just don’t have a good idea…

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-20, 13:26

About the quotation marks: I prefer „“, and I’m already using them in the translations I do. You forgot to mention ‚‘ which seem to be fairly common, too. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
millimarg
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-02-20, 13:31

You forgot to mention ,‘ which seem to be fairly common, too.

Ahh, yes. But I won't use them, either.

@Venatrix: Could you add a list with all open issues to the first post in this thread so we don't lose track of it ...?

Something like:

Open issues

• Translation of “ancient castle”
  • Quotation marks
  • Appellation of characters in campaigns

Solved issues

• Translation of “resource”
  • Translation of “button”
  • Single-digit numbers
  • Translation of present continuous
  • Empire_01
  • Use of the same punctuation in the translation?

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-20, 16:40

I like „“ the most. I have used them in translation whenever I recently did one and I was on Linux.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-22, 22:53

New issue: Someone called Prom filled the glossary a bit, it seems. So I had a look and found some more or less interesting questions (not all given by him):

• Building Space → I’m not sure, if we really need that. I found it once and decided to go for „Bauplatz“. Normally it’s in connection with showing the building space, so it’s „Bauhilfe einschalten“.
  • Gilded Armor → It wil replace the Plate Armor (Plattenharnisch) from the Empire. How shall we translate it? Goldener Harnisch? Goldharnisch? Vergoldeter Harnisch? Schmuckharnisch? Geschmückter Harnisch? face-wink.png
  • Host → The comment says, Gastgeber and Host are used, so we should decide on one. Not sure, which one, though.
  • Immovable → Unbewegliches Objekt? Too bulky, imo.
  • Junction → Um… It’s a Kreuzung, I guess? Come on, do we really need that?
  • metaserver → Metaserver, I’d say.
  • Story Message Window → I’m not even sure, I understand what he means… The phrase is used just once in the tutorial 01, so I would delete it from the glossary right away.
  • tab → The question in the comment is „Tab, Reiter oder Kategorie?“. Kategorie is the wrong word as it’s about the buttons you press when you look for the workers in a house for example. If we want to translate it (pfui denglisch), I’d go for Reiter, though that may be more work.
  • Vision range → Used twice (building help window and tutorial 01), so I would delete that too.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-23, 08:41
  • Host = Host, es geht hier ums Netzwerk im Glossareintrag. Ich hab das mal im Kommentar ergänzt.
  • Junction - Prom added this, he probably needs it to help him for his own translation. Just ignore it.
  • metaserver → Metaserver: Richtig.
  • Story Message Window: I think the comment will tell everybody that it's not that common.
  • tab = Tab oder Reiter. Kategorie paßt definitiv nicht.
  • Since vision range is in more than 1 spot, just leave it for now.

All the "official" entries have comments on them, so if you see something without a comment, it's up to you if you wish to fill the entry or not. I also recommend that if you add a new entry or see one without comment, that you add a comment.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-23, 09:57

GunChleoc wrote:

All the "official" entries have comments on them, so if you see something without a comment, it's up to you if you wish to fill the entry or not. I also recommend that if you add a new entry or see one without comment, that you add a comment.

Yeah, about that: I don’t know what categories are used there. For example I have added „food“ and don’t know, what I should write in the comment.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote