Latest Posts

Topic: German translation of sentences in present continuous

millimarg
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 15:33

While skimming through the German translations on Transifex, I noticed English sentences in present continuous (e.g. 'planting blackroot') are wrong translated. In the above mentioned case as 'Das Pflanzen von Schwarzwurzeln'. Or another example: 'working' is translated as 'Das Arbeiten'.

I think this should be corrected, but the translations should also be consistent. So IMO the main question is whether to translate it as third person singular active - like 'pflanze Mais' - or third person passive - as 'pflanzt Mais' (where the second seems better to me).

Why I asked for consistence is, that there are both forms currently used in the translations. For example, there is 'Spins goldyarn out of gold.' translated as 'Spinnt Gold zu Goldgarn.' but elsewhere it's again translated as active sentence.

So until this point isn't cleared we can't start overhauling the translations.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 16:37

You are raising an important point here - these strings are a bit tricky and go together with some strings in the main file.

The complete sentences go something like this: "Did not start working because 1x log is missing"

Did not start %1$s because %2$s
%1$s wurde nicht angefangen, weil %2$s

Skipped %1$s because %2$s
%1$s wurde übersprungen, weil %2$s

Completed %1$s because %2$s
%1$s wurde abgeschlossen, weil %2$s

So, "Das Pflanzen von Schwarzwurzeln" is the pattern that we need here, unless you change the strings in the main file as well.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 18:05

I did translate those strings.

I have thought a while about how I could translate the pieces so that they form a correct, good sounding sentence. I do not know if the result sounds well, but at least it is correct German. If you have another idea how that could be translated, please tell us (everyone is invited to join the Widelands project).

'Spins goldyarn out of gold.'

Could you point me to the source (it is indicated below the translation window at Transifex). I think it is a building description ("This building spins ...") and is therefore correctly translated.

but elsewhere it's again translated as active sentence

Example, please. I have to admit that without knowing where in the game the string belongs, it is sometimes hard to find the correct/best translation.

@GunChleoc: How can the depency between the strings "Did not start %s because %s." and "planting blackroot" be communicated to the translators (without adding a translator comment above every line)?

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
millimarg
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 21:07
GunChleoc wrote:
The complete sentences go something like this: "Did not start working because 1x log is missing"
Did not start %1$s because %2$s
%1$s wurde nicht angefangen, weil %2$s

Ah, I understand ...

@GunChleoc: How can the depen{den}cy between the strings "Did not start %s because %s." and "planting blackroot" be communicated to the translators (without adding a translator comment above every line)?

... but I can't see any way around this.

'Spins goldyarn out of gold.'
Could you point me to the source {...}. I think it is a building description {...} and is therefore correctly translated.

Of course it is correct in this case, I meant it as correct example. But anyway, the source file is
<...>/tribes/atlanteans/gold-spinning-mill/help.lua

but elsewhere it's again translated as active sentence
Example, please. I have to admit that without knowing where in the game the string belongs, it is sometimes hard to find the correct/best translation.

I'm sorry, but I must admit, I can't find the faulty translation again ...

@wl-zocker:
everyone is invited to join the Widelands project

You may not have noticed, but I'm translating Widelands since many years ;-).
Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 22:08

Your display name looked a bit different on Launchpad face-wink.png

The translator comments above individual strings are the only way to make sure all documentation can be seen while translating and that it's also up-to-date.

I could try to pull together an extra guide on the Wiki though.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
millimarg
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 22:17

I could try to pull together an extra guide on the Wiki though.

I think that's a good idea. So decisions in discussions will take wider effect and can easier be applied (hopefully).

A bit face-smile.png

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 00:10

A bit face-smile.png

Indeed a bit face-grin.png I only noticed now: Half of your family seems to translate Widelands. I approve that.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 10:39

New section on production programs:

https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/TranslatingWidelands/#translating_the_production_program_messages

Please feel free to edit/add.

We also have a section in the translators' guide where you can hook in a Wiki page with special instructions for your language - maybe something on "Sie" and "Du" would be important for you. You could also add specific German guidelines for the production programs there.

wl-zocker wrote: Indeed a bit face-grin.png I only noticed now: Half of your family seems to translate Widelands. I approve that.

+1 face-smile.png

Edited: 2015-02-15, 10:40

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 10:55

https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/TranslatingWidelands/#translating_the_production_program_messages

Did you write the first example on purpose? The sentence makes no sense, and I think the experience condition is only used in the micro-brewery.

maybe something on "Sie" and "Du" would be important for you.

Yes. I am not happy with the current use of "du" (or "Du") in the campaign text (talking to a leader using "du" seems wrong).

You could also add specific German guidelines for the production programs there.

Will do.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 11:03

wl-zocker wrote:

Did you write the first example on purpose? The sentence makes no sense, and I think the experience condition is only used in the micro-brewery.

Fixed, thanks.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote