Latest Posts

Topic: Iron problem

jalex
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2014-08-30, 22:04

hey,

I don't have enough soldiers, which is because I don't have enough iron. My weapon smithy is at 15%. However, My Iron mine (just one, because I did not find more iron on the map) is at 0%, despite having enough wine and food. It claims that the economy does not need iron.

Maybe this is because Smelting Works and the smithys are on one island, while the mine is on another one? I can see my ships bringing over some iron every now and then, but the mine stays at 0%.

Cheers, Alex

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-08-31, 08:30

Hello Alex, welcome to our forum.

You described your problem already very well, so that there are not many things left. When the two parts of your territory are connected by ships and ports (what they are), they should count as one economy and therefore I do not expect any problems here. Please answer/check the following:

• Which version are you playing (build 18 or a development build)? There have been some changes recently.
  • Might it be that your mine is empty, but does not show it because the economy does not need iron? To check that, increase the target quantity for iron ore and decrease the one for rations and wine (click on a flag -> economy settings) and see what your mine does. If it is empty, you should get a hover text and a message telling you that. In this case, enhance your mine.
  • By searching backwards from the end-product (soldiers), you should be able to find out which ware is missing. A soldier needs a wood lance and a helmet. So you look at those two smithies whether an input ware is missing (in that case, continue your research with that ware) or whether it has all wares, but is too slow (in that case, build another building of that type).

If none of the steps above has helped, you can upload your savegame somewhere and post the link here so that I can have a look at it. Depending what version you play, it might take some days until I find the time.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
jalex
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2014-08-31, 13:18

hey,

thanks, I did not know the "configure economy" menu. That's cool.

It turned out that my bakery is at 100%, but still my Inn's do not have bread. So that's the problem. And it looks like the mines rather do not work with full storage than using up the resources they already have.

Thanks for your help, Alex

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-08-31, 13:33

Nice to see you found the problem. In Widelands, you always have to have an overview of your whole economy.

And it looks like the mines rather do not work with full storage than using up the resources they already have.

The way Widelands is designed is that when an input ware is missing, it is refilled (if possible). So the building does not consume those wares when the economy does not have many of them. However, with the "configure economy" menu, the possibility to stop buildings and the "max fill indicator" (the vertical line for every input ware that you can move using the arrows) you should be able to manage that quite well.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote