Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Missing translations in trunk

yurloc

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2014-01-01, 18:43

I looked up some untranslated items on Launchpad and started the game (build 17) for cross-checking. I was surprised to see that the untranslated items from Launchpad were already translated in the game.

Could someone update trunk with these translations that are in build17 branch only? Or help me with the task (I am not familiar with Bazaar and Launchpad workflow).

I would like to have this resolved before continuing the translation.

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-01-01, 21:16

Hi yurloc and welcome to the forum! face-smile.png

Could you give some examples on items which are translated in build17 but not on Launchpad? Translations on LP are added to trunk from time to time and when trunk is released as an official build that is based on the current state of translations. Therefore it seems odd that build17 would contain translations which are missing from trunk, but several things might have happened since build17 was released:

• The string has changed in some way, either to improve wording or fix typos. In these cases, the string will appear as a new one and will need to be translated.
  • It is possible to remove translations (can be done in case someone thinks it is a poor translation and it will be more confusing than displaying the original string)

It would be nice to have some examples so we can take a look and see whether it is the old string or if it has changed somehow during the current development cycle.

Also; thanks for helping out translating WL. face-smile.png You may want to check or compare with the development version instead though, since a lot of text has been added or changed since build17 was released.

Ships!

Top Quote
yurloc

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2014-01-01, 21:58

Hi hjd,

• The string has changed in some way, either to improve wording or fix typos. In these cases, the string will appear as a new one and will need to be translated.

This is the case. I checked the .po files again and this time I noticed the difference in the translatable string. Namely:

• build17 (... the forester uses it. ...)
  • trunk (... the forester and the vinefarmer use it. ...)

It is unfortunate that after a slightest change in the translatable string it becomes a new untranslated item on Launchpad and you have to start the translation from scratch (unless you know what's going on).

Thank you very much for explaining. Now I know what to do, it helped me a lot!

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-02-05, 19:00

This is part of the game and can't be changed, especially whyn you're stll in alpha.

I recommend that you download the files from Launchpad and get an offline editor like Virtaal or Poedit. Theay have translation memories that give you fuzzy matches unlike Launchpad, which only gives you 100% matches. So, it is easier to recover strings that have only slight changes to them.

Expect a lot of strings to break again after the current version is released. This will be necessary to give translators control over word order, plus I have done some big fixes on the campaign texts.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote