Latest Posts

Topic: Transportation priorities

QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-11-03, 12:54

Maybe we could, instead of adding an ox as a second carrier, swap the carrier for the ox and make the ox carry two items instead of one? Would decrease the "Wuselfaktor" a little bit, but it would also move widelands a little more away from Settlers ideas face-smile.png

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
timowi

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-11-03, 13:03

I thought of letting the donkey carrying two items while implementing the feature. But this is actually more complicated than it sounds first. wares can have different destinations: the next flag or a building attached to this flag. This makes carrying two wares a bit complicated. Now I think it is good how it is done. Transportation is actually fast enough if the ways and flags are placed well. I am against changing the second carrier implementation.

Top Quote
abtools

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-03, 14:16

Hello together,

although I agree with egg that it would be more realistic to increase the transportation capacity for animals I don't think it would be a good idea in the games sense: it just would make transportation - a main idea of the game - too easy (independent of any implementation issues).

But please implement the priority system for transportation. This would be really a big improvement.

Best regards Andreas

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-11-03, 16:07

Widelands is not a realistic game. We should do what works from a gameplay perspective, and having the secondary carriers carry one item works perfectly fine. If you get traffic jams even while using two carriers, it's probably your own fault and you should improve the layout of your road network.

Top Quote
abtools

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-03, 16:23

Hello ixprefect,

yes, that's exactly what I meant, too: increasing the carried items for the second carrier would lead the Widelands road system ad adsurdum, because it would get too easy to avoid traffic jams.

But anyway, a priority system for transportation would be really great!

Best regards Andreas

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-11-13, 13:53

Okay, the animals will transport only one ware at a time. Seams like we don't need to argue about that. If the programmer says it's too complicated to be changed, it won't. face-wink.png I must confess, I wouldn't have thought about problems like different destinations…

But another idea I had right now: What about making the animals walking a bit faster than the humans? Would be more realistic… (Oh no, not that word again…) I would think, walking 1,5 times (not more) as fast could be worth a try, but I don't know, how easy it would be to implement.

Let me hear your arguments.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-11-13, 22:56

Well, I've just played a five hour multiplayer game in which I did have some transportation difficulties (trying to get wheat from one end of my realm to bakeries somewhere else) despite oxen, and in my opinion, the difficulties were pretty much like they should be. Obviously the game would have been easier for me if I didn't have to worry so much about transportation because of higher oxen capacity, but then again, that kind of challenge is part of what the game is about. So I'd be very much in favour of keeping it the way it is.

Top Quote
abtools

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-14, 00:01

Hello together,

I've created now a blueprint with a UI mockup regarding a transport priority system as suggested here: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/widelands/+spec/transport-priority

Any thoughts about that are very welcome.

Best regards Andreas

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-11-14, 15:04

More than the UI, the important question is what the semantics of the priorities would be. You really don't want absolute preference of higher priority wares, since this is likely to cause starvation of lower priority wares. So can you think of a meaning for this priority?

Top Quote
Gannaf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-14, 15:23

I have a little Idea which could solve that problem:

If a lower priotiry ware got left behind at one flag for lets say 8-10 times the carrier came arround, it automaticly becomes priorised for the next arrival of the carrier. Would that work?

Edited: 2010-11-14, 15:24

Top Quote