Latest Posts

Topic: Let scouts work on unprocessed food

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-03-30, 09:49

I'd like to suggest that scouts should live on fish or meat (unsmoked) plus wheat or corn or blackroot.

The aim of that change would be to make scouts more useful at the beginning of a game, when you need to find out in what direction to expand. (Where lakes and mountains are, stonefields, wood etc.)

Also if seems odd, that a scout as someone who lives in the wild should rely on a catering service. Instead, I imagine him roasting things at a small campfire and cooking some kind of porridge.

But lets hear some opinions on that.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-03-30, 11:45

Excellent idea, excelllent ingame justification (roasts unprocessed food on his own campfire) and excellent balancing/gameplay justification (make him more useful in early game).

For Altanteans, this is (from ingame justification) a bit different, though. They don't eat raw meat or fish at all. In this case he should just eat bread.

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-03-30, 16:44

First of all as disclaimer: The scout is quite new ingame, thus it is not yet good balanced - perhaps we should higher the "run"-time even more to make it more useful.

However, on WiHack we decided to let the scout eat some stuff - in comparison to the hunter, he is supposed to just run for a wide range and NOT stopping for a longer time - and even a fire might uncover him to enemies - so he just gets his ration.

So in fact the scout needs improvements after build15, but I am against changing the "give the scout some ration for his scout journeys" behaviour.

Cheers

Nasenbaer

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-03-30, 16:55

The suggestion was, let him eat bread, fish and meat instead rations... not let him run without food face-smile.png

Let's change it again: Offer him rations and bread. If he can get rations, he will run for a looooooong time. If he only gets bread, he will scout shortly and return home early for more food face-smile.png

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-03-30, 18:52

QCS wrote: The suggestion was, let him eat bread, fish and meat instead rations... not let him run without food Let's change it again: Offer him rations and bread. If he can get rations, he will run for a looooooong time. If he only gets bread, he will scout shortly and return home early for more food

That seems more reasonable, so for Barbarians and Imperials:

• Bread -> short run
  • Snack -> long run

and for Atlanteans:

• Bread -> short run
  • Bread AND smoked meat -> long run

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-03-31, 06:13

The idea of an alternative food supply sounds good to me. In fact anything that increases the scouts usefulness in early game stages, would help.

But why are you again raising the requirements by proposing snacks instead of rations?

I have not tested the scouts on huge maps so far, but on midsized maps, my experience is that you don't need scouts by the time you upgrade taverns. By then you usually have some tower-like buildings at the border that allow sufficient permanent insight into enemy territory.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-03-31, 07:45

Nasenbaer wrote:

and for Atlanteans:

Bread -> short run Bread AND smoked meat -> long run

I would suggest using bread and smoked fish instead of bread and smoked meat. Meat is always rare.

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-03-31, 18:19

Well face-wink.png

An answer to both :

I just wrote a fast answer, as I am very busy at the moment... so in fact I wanted to write "snack" and "smoked fish" face-smile.png

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-01, 17:12

You mean "ration" and smokesd fish face-smile.png

Top Quote
mitchix

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-05-01, 17:44

Nasenbaer wrote:

QCS wrote: The suggestion was, let him eat bread, fish and meat instead rations... not let him run without food Let's change it again: Offer him rations and bread. If he can get rations, he will run for a looooooong time. If he only gets bread, he will scout shortly and return home early for more food

That seems more reasonable, so for Barbarians and Imperials:

Bread -> short run Snack -> long run

and for Atlanteans:

Bread -> short run Bread AND smoked meat -> long run

I would like to add my vote for dual function scout...

i notice(and like) that when scout is near war building i can now select it as a target.. this has many potential impacts on game plav since now you can see and attack at longer ranges(good bad of this can be hashed out in another thread)

how about to keep scout from early long range attack abuse have the dual food work as Bread -> scouting with no building highlighting (so you can't target war buildings) Snack -> scouting with building highlighting (target of war buildings)

it might be more in line with game logic and style to remove the targeting ability from scouts and allow for building upgrade to war-scout(pick a better name) this would require a building upgrade plus scout upgrade like other buildings in the game..

ok so now that while typing this i've come up with completely different idea...

Scout -> scout hut -> bread proveds long range fast mapping of area but no targeting ability.

war scout -> upgraded scout hut -> snack(or meal) long range fast mapping of area with targeting ability of war buildings with in range

(i understand the scout is new and the targeting issue might be unintentional. with the effect of it throws off the balance of ranged war buildings... now i can build a sentry+scout(war-scout) and attack a citadel where before i would not be able to attack the citadel until i build a like building)

Top Quote