Latest Posts

Topic: 'Eject' goods and workers

pixnaps

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-01-19, 22:29

It would be very helpful to have an 'eject' option in various places. Three examples:

(1) I have wheat stocked up in the brewery (not being used since the economy doesn't need beer), when I need it more at the bakery, so I 'eject' the stockpiled wheat out of the brewery. Workers then go and take it where it is more needed.

(2) A poor road system got jammed up as multiple flags reach max capacity of stores. Rather than having to destroy the flag and rebuild, an 'eject' option here would simply make the wares disappear.

(3) Most importantly: suppose I have a master miner in a simple coal mine, when I need him over in a deep mine. (Or, a master blacksmith in a metal works when I need him to go fill in the War Mill vacancy.) Rather than destroy + rebuild, I simply 'eject' the overqualified worker. He goes where he's more needed, and a new unskilled worker eventually replaces him in the simple building.

Top Quote
Spiceskull

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-01-20, 18:25

Yeah - I liked the stop intake/empty function in Settlers ... it would be good for consideration in future builds.

Top Quote
silvering

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-02-05, 03:01

good idea

Top Quote
cospaok

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-04-13, 18:38

I just joined the forum to suggest (1) and (3).

As for (2) I would prefer to be able to divert traffic on a less used road even if it's a long way off the destination so I can prevent the jammed flags and loss of wares. And, it would be better still if the game decided which way the wares should travel to avoid jammed flags, provided the player has built alternative routes.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-13, 19:38

cospaok wrote: I just joined the forum to suggest (1) and (3). As for (2) I would prefer to be able to divert traffic on a less used road even if it's a long way off the destination so I can prevent the jammed flags and loss of wares. And, it would be better still if the game decided which way the wares should travel to avoid jammed flags, provided the player has built alternative routes.

Since implementation of the donkeys/oxen/horses i haven't seen any real traffic jams - under some circumstances (like when you connected a lot new constructionsites to your economy and the headquarters pushes all the needed wares out) there still might be some wares not transported directly... but that wouldn't be changed by a redirect.

Top Quote
megalive

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-04-13, 20:27

the jammed roads i had, i simply added a new road next too it (longer way) and jam is gone.

Worked here fine like it did in settlers :). and the osses part is really good.

Ejecting workers would be handy for A - eject trained workers too go too a different building. B - Stop buildings producing and not hold a worker

The eject goods part is more diffycult A - a building does not have a lot of good staying in it. B - if you recieve something mostly you do something with before you can store. (ie is no longer like new) C - in the period you really need it at a different location for finetuning the last bit ... yeah then it could be handy. IE when you stop a building that the worker his last work is repack the goods like new and put it out on the flag.

Top Quote
timowi

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-04-13, 20:34

Nasenbaer wrote: Since implementation of the donkeys/oxen/horses i haven't seen any real traffic jams - under some circumstances (like when you connected a lot new constructionsites to your economy and the headquarters pushes all the needed wares out) there still might be some wares not transported directly... but that wouldn't be changed by a redirect.

There are traffic jams even with donkeys. You have played to much games in the pre-donkey-time and know how to avoid them face-wink.png And there are still bugs in the economy code.

Actually these features are being implemented. I tried a bit of these but stopped them do do more of the work in the economy code. It's quite easy to hack them in different places but I want to do it in a more general way and avoid breaking the current system.

Top Quote
devaster

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-08-31, 11:42

i just joined the forum to suggest idea (3). but actually i would have been surprised if nobody else had already suggested it.

the necessity to destroy mines to relocate miners that didnt went to the mines that i wanted them to is the most significant loss in gameplay fun for me right now. the possibility to eject them like soldiers would be nice if there is a good way to determine where the miner is most needed. i think this would be difficult since it depends on what the player wants to achieve.

maybe an additional feature for specific relocation of a miner from one specified building to another would be even better.

i think the eject feature for wares suggested in (1) would also be helpful.

Top Quote
Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-08-31, 13:20

Welcome to the forums devaster!

Idea (3) is on the todo list and there have been several tries to implement such a feature. However none of these attempts was merged in trunk. More information can be found on Launchpad (bug #714036 and bug #536482).

Idea (1) was implemented in build 17.

Top Quote
devaster

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-08-31, 13:58

Welcome to the forums devaster!

thank you.

Idea (3) is on the todo list and there have been several tries to implement such a feature.

then im patiently waiting for the final implementation.

Idea (1) was implemented in build 17.

ok, just downloaded and tried it. nice. from now on i'll always make sure to have the newest built face-smile.png

Top Quote