Topic: Economy Configuration Menu / Window

mxsscott

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-02, 22:09

From https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1094750

Background

Currently, the economy configuration menu is accessed via a Flag. This is because:

• A player can have multiple economies on their map.
  • An economy does not necessarily contain a warehouse, HQ, or other central ware holding building.
  • An economy consists of all connected buildings. There is one economy per connected set of nodes.

As a result, the economy configuration cannot be global, nor can it be solely attached to a building. The only thing an economy is guaranteed to contain is a Flag.

Whilst this makes sense, I feel it takes too much explanation and is difficult to find.

Suggestions

1. Add a game tip specifying where the menu is.
    • Not ideal, the game tips are not always visible for that long.
  2. Add it to the warehouse/HQ
    • This is only useful when the economy contains one. An economy may contain multiple warehouses, so adding it here may cause confusion since the settings within one warehouse would affect all within the same economy.
  3. Add it to the minimap window.
    • The 'economy config' icon would either expand/rolldown the minimap window to reveal economy options, or pop open a separate window.
    • The economy options would have a < Prev Economy and > Next Economy button if appropriate.
    • The area covered by the economy being configured would be highlighted on the minimap.
    • There would be a button to center the economy on the display (or display the economy's center).

Other thoughts / opinions?

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-01-03, 09:03

I like the idea of using the minimap as a visualization to clarify which economy will be affected by the setting. however attaching the option to the minimap does not seem very intuitive to me. How about making a button in the current statictics menu (which could then be named main menu or so) that allows for economy wide settings and displays a minimap as a visualization help. Over time it could get more tabs for more options (e.g. military options per economy or so).

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-01-04, 20:38

How about an overlay on the flags with the index of the economy they're connected to? That would provide a more local visualisation though - I'm not sure how useful that would be.

You could go all-out and have the system generate a name for each economy (themed according to tribe), and with the "Overlay Economy Name" turned on, a demarcation line is put between the two. The edges could be shaded / filled differently near the line for clear visuals, along with the names listed on either side of the line. Similar to how different administrative areas are be displayed on a map.

Example: the yellow shaded area marks where the South Downs National Park is in my local area: http://binged.it/134cUhU

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
mxsscott

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-04, 21:08

I'm not sure about the names (think i18n), unless there is a suitably lengthy list that can be produced for each tribe. How many economies does a player usually have, prior to being attacked in the middle of their realm, causing a split? Is splitting the economy on purpose regularly done - as far as I can tell the player would have to destroy a road, or have a gap created by an enemy, in order to have two economies. In these situations it doesn't seem right to assign a name.

However, marking the boundary between the economies as on the map you linked to could be useful. It could be linked to the build help toggle if it wasn't desired permanently.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-01-05, 19:25

mxsscott wrote:

An economy consists of all connected buildings. There is one economy per connected set of nodes.

Does that mean a construction site in the mountains not connected to a road is a small economy for itself?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
mxsscott

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-01-05, 20:07

Venatrix wrote:

mxsscott wrote: An economy consists of all connected buildings. There is one economy per connected set of nodes.

Does that mean a construction site in the mountains not connected to a road is a small economy for itself?

Yes. In fact, if you start a new game, and build a lumberjack and a quarry but no roads between them you have three economies.

Edited: 2013-01-05, 20:08

Top Quote