Latest Posts

Topic: Production issues

DaggeTeo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-03-30, 12:36

I have been playing the game for a while now and I am struggling to get a stable economy.

The way I understand it the production wares arent produced if there is no need for them. This seems to apply to buildings such as mines, bakery, tavern etc. Does this also work for woodcutters/farmers? It seems as though the woodcutters don't cut as much wood when you have an abundance of it.

I would also like to get a pointer to how much of each ware is required to produce another ware, ie how much wheat/flour, wheat/beer. I am struggling to get enough farms to fill the needs of all the buildings. I figured that 4-5 farms would cover the need of a bakery, brewer, piggery and a sheepfarm. Somehow it just doesn't seem to be enough.

Thanks for any help

Top Quote
alocritani

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-03-30, 13:57

Hi, I suggest to last trunk snapshot (pre-build17), because there are several improvements. Build 17 is on the way.

The way I understand it the production wares arent produced if there is no need for them. This seems to apply to buildings such as mines, bakery, tavern etc. Does this also work for woodcutters/farmers? It seems as though the woodcutters don't cut as much wood when you have an abundance of it.

The produce/don't produce decision is made according to the economy limit that can be set clicking on a flag and selecting "economy option" - see here for more details

I would also like to get a pointer to how much of each ware is required to produce another ware, ie how much wheat/flour, wheat/beer. I am struggling to get enough farms to fill the needs of all the buildings. I figured that 4-5 farms would cover the need of a bakery, brewer, piggery and a sheepfarm. Somehow it just doesn't seem to be enough.

You can find these informations in the different places: the first one is the in-game building help - icon located at the lower right corner inside the building information window (the window that appears clicking on a built building) - barbarians only, at the moment. Other informations are available inside the "ware help" - second icon from right in the icon bar at the bottom of the screen

Also remember that if you cannot afford providing needed wares to all buildings you can change priority of the delivered wares (high priority = 2 x normal priority = 4 x low priority) so buildings will receive wares with different frequencies (important buildings should have higher priority) or/and change the maximum amount of wares that a building can keep as "reserve" - lower reserves means less wares "tied" to a building, more wares around, more building with wares - on the other side your building has no spare wares so it need to be steadily filled with new one.

Finally very nice graphs are provided in the "ware statistics" window - second icon from left in the icon bar, bottom of the screen - showing production, consumption and difference between these two info (economy health) for all wares - you can see a screenshot here.

Edited: 2012-03-30, 14:02

Top Quote
DaggeTeo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-03-30, 15:58

Hi, I suggest to last trunk snapshot (pre-build17), because there are several improvements. Build 17 is on the way.

I forgot to mention that I've been playing the pre-build 17 (Widelands-bzr6335-nomusic-win32) which by the way is an awesome improvement to build 16 that I used to play.

The produce/don't produce decision is made according to the economy limit that can be set clicking on a flag and selecting "economy option" - see here for more details

I am familiar with the economy option but what I am wondering is how the economy option affects "infinite" wares such as wood and wheat? My understanding is that when the correct quantity for a finite ware such as bread is reached the baker will not bake until bread is needed. What happens when the cap is filled for wheat and wood? I get the impression that the farms stops producing and that the woodcutters don't cut as much trees.

Also remember that if you cannot afford providing needed wares to all buildings you can change priority of the delivered wares (high priority = 2 x normal priority = 4 x low priority) so buildings will receive wares with different frequencies (important buildings should have higher priority) or/and change the maximum amount of wares that a building can keep as "reserve" - lower reserves means less wares "tied" to a building, more wares around, more building with wares - on the other side your building has no spare wares so it need to be steadily filled with new one.

Finally very nice graphs are provided in the "ware statistics" window - second icon from left in the icon bar, bottom of the screen - showing production, consumption and difference between these two info (economy health) for all wares - you can see a screenshot here.

The new function to be able to change the maximum of wares in a building is golden, very grateful for that addition.

I really like the new grahps however there is one that I miss. I would like to see a graph over availibity of goods. How the amount has changed over time. The economy health is good but doesn't provide that picture.

Top Quote
alocritani

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-03-30, 19:30

I am familiar with the economy option but what I am wondering is how the economy option affects "infinite" wares such as wood and wheat? My understanding is that when the correct quantity for a finite ware such as bread is reached the baker will not bake until bread is needed. What happens when the cap is filled for wheat and wood? I get the impression that the farms stops producing and that the woodcutters don't cut as much trees.

Maybe I'm missing your point but...

the economy limit for wood is not used by the lumberjack, but is used by the burner's house (don't use wood if there is less than X wood stored).

So woodcutters should not slow down or stop cutting trees even if the limit set in economy options is reached

Top Quote
DaggeTeo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-03-30, 20:11

alocritani wrote:

Maybe I'm missing your point but... the economy limit for wood is not used by the lumberjack, but is used by the burner's house (don't use wood if there is less than X wood stored). So woodcutters should not slow down or stop cutting trees even if the limit set in economy options is reached

I wasn't as clear as I had hoped. Once the cap for the wood is reached and the burner's house and sawmill is at full capacity then it seems as though the forest patches seems to grow. However when I build additional burners to increase production capacity the forests shrink. I haven't been studying this to a great extent so I can't swear that it is this way.

Either way, how does work with the wheat? In the case of, all wheat-using buildings being at full capacity and you've reached the economy option quantity? Will the farms stop producing or will they continue to harvest until infinity?

Thanks for your patience!

Top Quote
alocritani

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-03-30, 22:08

I wasn't as clear as I had hoped. Once the cap for the wood is reached and the burner's house and sawmill is at full capacity then it seems as though the forest patches seems to grow. However when I build additional burners to increase production capacity the forests shrink. I haven't been studying this to a great extent so I can't swear that it is this way.

not sure about that, but I think it is just a "feeling" and should be investigated more. According to me production of trunks will continue steadly, if you have trees.

Either way, how does work with the wheat? In the case of, all wheat-using buildings being at full capacity and you've reached the economy option quantity? Will the farms stop producing or will they continue to harvest until infinity?

They should harvest forever...

Thanks for your patience!

No problem, it's nice to investigate new aspects of this beatiful game!

Top Quote
alocritani

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-01, 16:26

DaggeTeo wrote: I really like the new grahps however there is one that I miss. I would like to see a graph over availibity of goods. How the amount has changed over time. The economy health is good but doesn't provide that picture.

suggestion added to bug tracker

Top Quote
borim

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-05-01, 13:52

... and a discussion began if this feature is needed. So feel free to contribute face-wink.png

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/970840

Top Quote