Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Seafaring Graphics

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-01, 16:37

The barbarian shipyard has been added in bzr rev#6273.
Here is a screenshot:
sy

And, yes, it appears our old nemesis of z-layering has raised its ugly head again (see the carrier obscured by the pile of oars at the left of the hut?). He hasn't even reached even with the hotspot! Ah, well. Something to do for Build18. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 03:19

Ok, I know this post is off-topic, except for the Barbarians anyway, but rather than start up a new thread for a couple posts, I figured I tag this onto this one.

Port Buildings

I have been considering what possible designs we might use for the port buildings, considering their use as a foothold on new territory, a temporary lodging for explorers/soldiers/carriers, etc. and as a warehouse that is in close proximity to the water, but not necessarily in the water. A solution I propose is sort of a super-warehouse/mini-headquarters that has a more mercantile than military appearance. I think it should be placed on pilings, i.e. "stilts", to reinforce the water traffic idea.

Atlantean Port Building

Here is a draft for the Atlantean port.
ap

You can see that I have basically taken the atlantean warehouse building, put it up on pilings, added a ramp and a second floor "dormitory". I think this particular draft looks a bit too modern, but I'll try to rearrange the second-floor structures or enlarge the windows to lessen the effect.

My aim is to take the same approach with the warehouses of the other tribes.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 07:37

This is very clever design, Chuck.
I am not so fond of the atlantean house design in general, but within that style, this port seems very good.
Additionally, it could possibly show a latern on a pole to serve as a mini-lighthouse? (all ports)

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 12:29

Thanks for your ideas. This draft does need some "illumination". face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 14:48

Atlantean Port 2

I again apologize for letting the Atlanteans nose into this barbarian thread. face-smile.png

Here is my 2nd draft which is much closer to my original concept.
ap1

Ultimately I wish to animate the light and crystal to pulse and revolve respectively. I'm afraid I've not given much attention to the militaristic facets.

What do you think of it?

I see little people.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 14:56

concering the military aspect: maybe you could change the lower sections to be made out of stone instead of wood (so texture change) and add a small guardshouse to the right of the lower entrance ? ... just brainstorming agaqin face-smile.png

And the port looks already very promising :)!!!

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 15:06

We have continued this discussion in the new Port Buildings thread. See you there. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-21, 11:40

I have just for the first time created a map with some harbours and seen the barbarian ships
transport some things.
The graphics as such are really very nice.
And the size compromize for the rowers seems just about right.
A very fine addition to WL!

On the graphic side I have some ideas for a later time ....
It seems that we have a "go east" and "go west" direction and display for the ships,
but we lack a "go south" and "go north", to the effect that the ship must do tacks from southwest to southeast.
In fact, very frequent tacks face-smile.png
Is that really so?
And if it is going to stay that way, should we not insert at least one picture that shows the ship vertically (going straight north or south)?
I think the "jump" from southeast to southwest is too big and disrupts the illusion of the ship doing a turn or jibe.
Another thing I have noticed is that the sail doesn't bulge (best visible in east and west direction).
I don't think we can do any "sailing animation", certainly not one depending on the wind that is shown by the waves, but our static sail would still look a lot better with some wind in there.
The next question is whether we really should show the ships vertical in the water while travelling.
I mean, they are sailing ships - a little heeling might look better on them.
Maybe not for the Barbarians - it would seems that rowing is just as important as sailing for them,
but the others may really benefit if we show them with their masts out of the vertical axis.
Just some ideas for further improvment that seem worthwhile.
Or at least I hope they may be face-smile.png

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-03-21, 12:19

I think it is impossible to make the ships go straight north or south because of the layout of the map (the small triangles, I think you know what I mean). You also cannot build roads straight north or south. Bobs like carriers, different workers, animals and ships can only walk on the edges of the triangles. Since there are no edges aligned from south to north, the ships cannot go this way. Either the map layout has to be changed (will not happen I think) or a special case for ships is needed to allow them to move everywhere not just along edges (will also not happen I guess).

Currently there is also no possibility to do a turn like you suggest, but I think this might be possible to implement. However it is a change in code and cannot be achieved by graphical changes only (AFAIK).

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-03-21, 13:01

Going straight northeast or northwest for as long as possible (without making the way longer) instead of alternating all the time should solve this issue without breaking the hex structure of maps.

Philipp

Top Quote