Latest Posts

Topic: [GUI] - GUI retouch

fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-04-12, 22:43

ixprefect wrote:

Maybe barbarians: wood, empire: marble and atlanteans: mmmh...

Spideryarn?

Sounds well in general but what are the buttons on the cloth?

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-04-13, 09:22

Could someone please change the light green color for the numeric representation in the statistic window if you agree?
To black, maybe?
It would allow for a constant color gradient in the background (dark to light) and should give more freedom in its design.
I have experimented a bit with that background and I think a decision must be made, for either a dark or a light background.
Some wares colors may need to be changed accordingly.

Personally I'm not too enthusiastic about the lavender (nor the blue-ish) scroll bar, but that is largely a matter of taste.
The pattern however is root grain,(Wurzelholzmaserung) so a wood color would look appropiate.
How about a warm reddish tint like cherry wood? I like the border carvings.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-04-16, 18:33

I have tought a bit about the gui widgets in Widelands and want to show some progress:

We have in general two types of buttons:

Menu buttons (which are made of earth/clay or stone): Menu button

In game buttons (which are made of wood (barbarians), marble (empire) and spidercloth (atlanteans)):

Barbarian button (base material): Barbarian button

Empire button (base material): Empire button

Atlantean button (base material): Atlantean button

What do you think?

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-04-17, 10:48

great step into the future :D, i like those materials a lot! might there also be a possibility to also get rid of this yellow text type? it kinda looks realy... well computer-made, so it destroys the good old feeling of playing an medieval game...

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-04-17, 13:56

kingcreole wrote: great step into the future , i like those materials a lot! might there also be a possibility to also get rid of this yellow text type? it kinda looks realy... well computer-made, so it destroys the good old feeling of playing an medieval game...

Well, that's a task for the programmers, but maybe i can take a look later on. Should be not to complicated. My C++ coding knowledge shouldbe enough to get this done.

Top Quote
fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-04-18, 00:39

I have tried to find good colors for the GUI widgets. Waht do you think of that: Button foreground color (font color) and background: Widlands - GUI - Buttons For the window background I would use a darker version of the button backgrounds. Any other ideas?

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-04-18, 11:00

thats a complete "like" for all of em, only problem might be visibility... are edges possible at that size?...

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-04-18, 12:06

looking good! you should start a new branch on launchpad for the GUI changes ASAP. I see good things coming from this in the future face-smile.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-04-18, 17:35

I like what I'm seeing here, too.

@SirVer: I'm still trying to get my thoughts in order regarding the numerous bug reports that deal with elements/aspects of the UI.

I'm of two minds on the direction we should take with the entire UI development effort.

I was going to propose we start a public branch specific to UI enhancements (as opposed to numerous personal branches) to help coordinate the various UI efforts and ultimately deliver a polished and comprehensive UI upgrade package. After reconsidering the matter, I fear a separate public branch could result in complicating testing if new features that are dependent on UI changes are added to the game before the UI package is delivered (which is quite likely). face-smile.png I believe such changes would require parallel upgrades to the trunk and to the UI development branch and thereby increase the work unnecessarily.

Maybe I'm troubled over nothing, but I'd like to hear other's thoughts on this.

EDIT: I just read SirVer's comment #15 in Bug 746645 in which he proposes establishing a separate branch. In light of that, my fears are allayed. face-smile.png

Edited: 2011-04-18, 18:02

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-04-18, 18:50

I have established lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/GUI-Development in Launchpad as the environment to further develop the GUI.

Do a bzr get lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/GUI-Development and LET THE FUN BEGIN!! face-smile-big.png

Edited for instructional purposes

Edited: 2011-04-18, 18:55

I see little people.

Top Quote