Latest Posts

Topic: Build helper - icons

chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-10, 16:36

The terrain palettes can now be found in the widelands media repository rev#150.
They reside in the ~/graphics/tools/ folder and contain samples of each of the terrains found in all of the worlds.
Using these should circumvent the need to start up a game just to gauge how an object will appear against the different terrains on the game maps.

Here is how I would use them:
1) open an image of the new object in GIMP or your preferred 2D editor
2) open one of the terrain palettes in your editor
3) copy the image to a new layer in the terrain palette
Now you can easily move the object over the various panels to see how it will compare to those terrains in the game!

I see little people.

Top Quote
martin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-03-10, 17:45

ixprefect wrote: What about a combination of "large building" and "anchor" to get the idea across that you really build a building there, not just an anchor?

Sounds to me like the build helper icon from settlers II face-wink.png But why not? I'm not sure, which one to prefer - I think I'll like both: the combination as well as the lonely anchor - or maybe even a small ship?

@fraang: your flag looks a lot better now face-smile.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-10, 18:17

ixprefect wrote:
What about a combination of "large building" and "anchor" to get the idea across that you really build a building there, not just an anchor? face-smile.png

Great idea! (Why don't we design our port building actually in the shape of anchor??!!!)........... face-wink.png JUST KIDDING!!

martin wrote:
- I think I'll like both: the combination as well as the lonely anchor - or maybe even a small ship?

I think I favor the combination of building and anchor.
Depending on how seafaring/navigation evolves, we MAY ultimately need to differentiate between shore areas where NO landing can be made versus areas where a landing can be made without a port versus areas where a port building could be constructed. In such a case, we might then use a small boat image to indicate landing areas unsuitable for buildings.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-10, 19:08

I favor a "big building with anchor" icon as well, simply because you can not only build ports there, but (if you want) big, medium or small buildings :).

Top Quote
fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-03-10, 21:13

Ok i have tried to improve the visibility of the mine icon:

Screenshot

Btw: I have tried to create a palm tree for widelands. It is not animated and has different style so it would not fit very well into the game. I just wanted to try it out. What do you think?

Palm tree

Top Quote
martin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-03-11, 10:20

Yes, the visibility of the mine icon is better now face-smile.png

fraang wrote: Btw: I have tried to create a palm tree for widelands. It is not animated and has different style so it would not fit very well into the game. I just wanted to try it out. What do you think?

Your palm tree is of course better than the two ones in front of the headquarters on your screenshot. But your screenshot looks like it was taken from an older version of the game. Meanwhile, graphics have improved a lot! Although I don't know about the exact state of the palm trees right now, but I guess they also have improved (?) Nevertheless, that would introduce another type of palm tree into the game and therefore increases diversity face-smile.png But of course, an animation would be nice face-grin.png

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-03-11, 11:38

fraang wrote: Btw: I have tried to create a palm tree for widelands. It is not animated and has different style so it would not fit very well into the game. I just wanted to try it out. What do you think?

You did it again… Opening another topic within a thread, that’s got nothing to do with it…

martin wrote: Your palm tree is of course better than the two ones in front of the headquarters on your screenshot. But your screenshot looks like it was taken from an older version of the game. Meanwhile, graphics have improved a lot! Although I don't know about the exact state of the palm trees right now, but I guess they also have improved (?)

Well, apart from the Headquarters itself and the fact that my icons aren’t transparent, my game looks exactly like his. As far as I know, the trees didn’t change.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-11, 17:28

@fraang: The new mine icon looks very promising! Could you please push an update with this latest mine icon to your personal branch on launchpad. I'd like to see how visible it is against the other mountain terrains. Thx

The palm tree is attractive. However, I agree that new topics should be introduced in their own threads to minimize confusion and keep focus on the initial topic. To that end, I have started a "New Immovables" thread here in the Graphics Forum, where I would suggest the discussion of the palm tree be continued.

I look forward to continuing this discussion... in its own thread. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-12, 12:20

Sorry haven't seen Fraang's latest mine icons, before I did this.
Otherwise I'd have used them. But really our old mine icons aren't bad at all, because they have a white and a black part.
Starting out from what was included in V.5882 I have taken up Ixprefects idea of a variable transparency.
I have emphasized the black borders (relative to the building) and those edges that form the 3d model by selectively lowering the transparency for them.
I have also made doors and windows fully transparent in Fraang's models (didn't like those black spots everywhere).
Some minor changes in mine and flag icon, too.
Here is what came out.
Any good?

Ah.. forgot to mention. I have also shown the military influence indicators to show the interaction with the buildhelp in regard to visibility.

Edited: 2011-03-12, 12:24

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
smoku

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-03-12, 12:57

IMO too much transparency.

Top Quote